Thursday, February 25, 2010

In His Own Words

The night before I approached my son’s doctor about trying the recommended medicine, I had a heart-to-heart talk with my son about what he thought about the whole situation and what he wanted to do about it.

In his own words, here is how my 8 year old son responded:

“I’m a tornado, destroying everything and you two (his parents) are two large mountains that I’m trying to break through.”

When I asked him what he wanted to do about it, he said:

“I want the doctor to give me medicine so I don’t do bad things and act out. I want them to make my ‘bad side’ go to sleep so my ‘good side’ wakes up first.”

Prior to this discussion I remember very clearly a moment when my 8 year old son was watching a home video of himself when he was 5 years old. He said that it made him sad to see the old home video since “I was so happy back then”, unlike now.

His little brother’s response to the video was “Ah, that was when my brother use to be nice”.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding your posts, this is very brave of you mama bear and a great help to others who may feel they are the only one experiencing similar problems. My son had the night terrors which, you are right, are very scary to him and to us as parents. He never remembered them later. He did grow out of them. He now has OCD and refuses to see a doctor about it. He thinks he can control it himself. But he does stress about it. My daughter also has a mood disorder but does take something for it. She has since she was in high school and threatened to kill herself. These type of disorders are a cancer in the brain. We take drugs for other types of cancers, so we should not be ashamed or afraid to take meds for this either. No child should have to suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dee Dee for your encouraging words. If you happen to read this, I was wondering if your daughter had to try multiple medications before she found something that worked. Or did she have success with the first one? Also, did she ever suffer from mania, or was it primarily depression?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to your story.

    ReplyDelete