Saturday, March 27, 2010

We’re Back on Track!

I’m so happy to report that we’re back on track! Once we lowered his dose of Trileptal, our son has once again found his bliss. He has been kind, loving, helpful and just plain sweet! It just amazes me that such a small amount of medicine can have such a big impact on his brain. I can’t imagine what it must feel like to him after all he has been through.

I guess for the rest of us, the closest thing we can compare it to is when you’re sick with a flu. You recognize that you feel bad, but you never realize just how bad you feel until you are back on your feet, feeling good again. It is then when you think...“Man, was I sick!” I wonder if that is what my son is feeling now, does he feel so incredibly good, compared to his past? That would explain why he is glowing with happiness!

Today was a true test. He asked “me” if we could go to the zoo, knowing full well that it was a weekend, filled with crowds. In the past, he always rejected this idea since his anxiety would overwhelm him. But today there was no sign of anxiety, even though there were many “triggers” that would have sent him over the edge, he passed with flying colors. For example:

When we arrived, the line into the zoo was over 50 people!
Passed! He was patient, even pleasant as we chatted.

Next we faced the unmet expectation of the zoo being sold out of ice cream. (Yeah I know, that’s a crime)
Passed! He was not even upset by this, even offered that we visit the monkeys instead!

Then we had the temptation of all the merchandise. This would normally have been a point of irritability.
Passed! He just accepted the answer “No” then acknowledge that they were probably too expensive.

Then we had the crowds around a popular exhibit. This usually will make him feel sick or panic.
Passed! He offered that we wait a few minutes before approaching, so the crowd could thin out.

As we were leaving I decided to reward the boys for a good day. I allowed the boys to pick a stuffed animal to take home. In the past, purchase decisions take painfully long and usually end with tears and disappointment.
Passed! He quickly thought it out and committed to his choice. It was so worth the five bucks!

Then to top the day off, I forgot where I parked. (Hey, it had been a long day, give a girl a break!)
Passed! Instead of a meltdown, he helped me find the car, even laughed at me along the way.

What can I say, I can’t be happier with where we are today. We’ve experienced some of the worst months of our lives recently and to come out of it with a day like today, brings tears to my eyes, tears of joy!

4 comments:

  1. WOW!! that sounds like a great day! wonderful for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is great! I love the idea that he is better with less medicine. Have a wonderful spring break!
    Love you,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful day! I am very happy for you and the rest of the family. Keep up the great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! What a wonderful day.

    I love your flu comment. Its so true. When those good days come, you just want to hold on to them forever. Glad to hear the meds are working well.

    ReplyDelete