Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anxiety Attack & Angry Mama!

Yesterday, my son cried out as he grabbed his chest, he began to tear up as he complained that his “heart was bouncing around in all the wrong places”. He also said that his heart and brain were pounding too hard and his ears stopped working.

My first thought was that his blood pressure may have dropped, then with greater concern I was worried that he was experiencing a side effect from the medication. One of the severe warnings is chest pain, so I’m sure you can understand why I was worried.

Within moments it seemed to pass. After talking to his doctor during an examination that evening, she felt he was having a panic attack, brought on by his anxiety. This made sense, since we’ve seen an increase of anxiety with our son over the past year and he seemed very upset after school that same day. I don’t know what’s going on right now with him. The last two days he’s had some rough moments of being very emotional, not angry, more sad and overwhelmed. He also had another bad nightmare, which the doctor explained is usually brought on by anxiety.

So I left the doctors, with yet another disorder (Anxiety Disorder), and to be honest, feeling very angry and frustrated with the doctor. I wasn’t going to write about it now, but I’m feeling pissed off! I asked her once again if she knew what my son had, what was the cause of all these disorders. She told me that I wasn’t going to find out until he was an adult. As we talked about a possible diagnosis, I mentioned something about his depression. Her response had me floored, she said “He has depression?” I could just scream thinking about this now. It’s so hard to trust a doctor that says “I don’t know what’s wrong with your son and you won’t know for years”, but to have her prescribing potent drugs to my son and not be familiar with my son’s case is just astounding!!! This isn’t the first time this has happened with our pdoc (the doctor that prescribes the medication). Previously, I sent a fax days prior to an appointment, outlining our son’s symptoms along with family history and when we met, she prescribed him medication, then admitted that she received but never read the documents.

Then she went on to say that I should just think happy thoughts. WHAT???? I don’t come to these appointments for therapy or positive thinking. I come for information, for medically sound decisions based upon my son’s symptoms. I have to make sure that these powerful drugs, that may have an affect on his body years later are the right drugs for his illness. And to be told to just keep increasing his medication if his recent struggles get worse is a decision that I question when she appears to be uninformed about his case and the therapy that his therapist has been focused on.

I’m looking forward to my kickboxing class tomorrow, I have a lot of anger inside that I plan on getting out. In the meantime, I’m still trying to decide how to proceed from here. If you’ve dealt with this yourself, what did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment