Saturday, April 24, 2010

So Do You Come Here Often?


If you’re struggling to find answers to your child’s condition, you’re probably familiar with the bookstore’s selection of books, you know the one I’m talking about, the one right next to all the inspiring books on raising “normal” kids. This section has all the autism books, sensory disorder books and a pile of bipolar books. For many of us, these books brought answers to the awful things we’ve been living through. It was finally a place of understanding and support. We found our home base.

But once you leave this safe haven, you realize there’s a world of opinions contradicting all these resources. It seems the more I read, the more I realize that doctor’s don’t have a clue what’s wrong with our kids. It seems that so many medical professionals disagree with one another. Groups of society that think we’re bad mothers for falling prey to the pharmaceutical companies and the bad doctors that drug our kids. There are groups of doctors that believe that bipolar children don’t exist and others that believe that, not only does it exist, but it has many levels to it. There are articles written all over about the money made off this industry of psychology and how our children are victims to this greed. While other reports demonstrate how modern medicine has given a life worth living to those who struggle with mental illness. Now, there may be a little bit of truth to every perspective, but I just have to hold on to my own truth and what I know is that my son is suffering from an illness and thanks to his current medication is doing so much better.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, I know that book section well! ;-)
    I like your blog!

    From,
    Emily in MN
    my blog: closeencountersofthementalillnesskind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete