Thursday, April 8, 2010

That Funny Feeling...

My son has been doing great with the new medication. We’ve only seen a little bit of trouble, but not even close to where we were. I think a lot of it is conditioning. After you behave a certain way for a while, it becomes a habit. So I know if the medication continues to work, our son will be able to “practice” much better responses to stress and in time it will become natural.

I’ve even noticed this phenomenon with myself. This past week my son was sitting on my lap during church and I had this strange feeling of fear. You see, his head was just inches from my face and lately I’ve been head butted in the face by him. So I found myself feeling a little anxious that his head may hurt me. I know this sounds strange and at the time I didn’t think much about it, I just had that funny feeling in my stomach. The best way to describe it is, if you’ve ever been bitten by a cat multiple times, you feel a little timid cuddling up to the same cat for fear it may bite you again.

I feel almost guilty that I feel this way around my son at times. But I remind myself that it’s just a natural form of conditioning and in time, just as my son is learning to not overreact to things in his environment, I will learn to not overreact to my son. Just because he is raising his voice, doesn’t mean he is going to go into a rage and cuddling him won’t result in a face wound. I just have to give us some time to acclimate to our new, much better relationship. In the meantime, the next time that funny feeling comes back, I’ll have to pull my son closer and wait for that feeling to pass.

3 comments:

  1. It is totally understandable. You have been walking on eggshells around him. Cuddle with him now and enjoy it. Give him a big hug and kiss from me.
    Love you,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the cuddles! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes. i have that same reaction. i don't let taz's head anywhere near mine. even when he's sitting on my lap and trying to cuddle i have my hands up ready to protect myself. i even flinch a little when his hand touches my arm because he's been known to start off nicely then dig his nails in suddenly. it's sad cause my little one is so cuddly and has never tried to hurt me so it's so much easier to hold her. i try to hold them evenly but why would you want to cuddle with the cat that's attacked you?

    ReplyDelete