Friday, April 30, 2010

Watch on TV: Discovery Health


I’m thrilled to share that Discovery Health is doing a 1 week series on mental health issues May 2-7, interviewing families living with mental illness. I’m excited about this because I feel so passionate about bringing public awareness to these so misunderstood diseases, thus allowing compassion where it’s greatly needed. The series starts this Sunday night. Here’s the schedule in Eastern time, so all those near me watch it at 6 pm!:

Sunday: Anxious @ 9 pm (Eastern Time)
              Enraged @ 10 pm (Eastern Time)

Monday: Woman with 15 Personalities @ 9 pm (Eastern Time)

Tuesday: Born Schizophrenic @ 9 pm (Eastern Time)

Wednesday: My Strange Addiction @ 9 pm (Eastern Time)

Thursday: Bipolar Mysteries: Families in Crisis @ 9 pm (Eastern Time)

Friday: Hoarding, Buried Alive @ 9 pm (Eastern Time)

I’ve highlighted Bipolar Mysteries because it’s focused on children and to be honest, from the clips shown on the website, looks a lot like what we see in our own family. So if you know someone who’s raising a child with a mood disorder or if you know my own son, I encourage you to watch this episode since it may give you some insight into our world. Sunday nights’ episodes, Anxious and Enraged may also be insightful, so set your recorders so you don’t miss it! Here’s a few clips from Bipolar Mysteries:

Kelsey story: http://health.discovery.com/videos/psych-week-2010-kelsey.html

Chase’s Story: http://health.discovery.com/videos/psych-week-2010-chase.html

For more info and movie clips go to the website at:
http://health.discovery.com/tv/psych-week/

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you wrote this post. I wanted to post something along about it as well.

    I am going to do that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My name is Kristen, Chase's mom from the show. Stumbled onto your blog and am happy to hear that you can relate to my son. I hope you let me know what you think after the show airs... I haven't seen the entire thing yet and am praying it is educational for people who just dont "get it."

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen, I’m so excited you found my blog. I want to thank you for opening up your life to the world. You’re a very brave mother and I’m so thankful you’re sharing your life with us. Not only will it be helpful to me as a mother trying to understand how I can help my son, but you are also helping by bringing public awareness to what our children are going through. I can’t tell you enough how much that means to me.

    I can really relate to the clip of your son Chase when he cries out that he needs someone to help him. I’ve seen this with my own son and it breaks my heart. Our children may seem angry on the outside, but they are hurting on the inside.

    I look forward seeing the show and I will definitely be writing about it afterwards so check back in. If you’re up to it, maybe you can answer questions for us on this blog.

    I wish you the best for Chase and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind answering any questions you have. I feel like I'm sitting next to Chase on his rollercoaster and it can be overwhelming.

    As of right now, Chase is doing well and I am so thankful for that. I hope the show really makes a difference in how the world sees these bipolar children. I hope the world can find enough compassion and understanding not to shut our children out for their differences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Canada and was so sad that this show didn't air on Discovery Health Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you check Discovery Health web site you can take a peek at some of the clips under Psych Week!

    ReplyDelete