Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bumps in the Road


For the most part my son has been doing really good, so much better now that he’s on his regular dose of medication. But there’s been some bumps in the road.

Recently, my son has been interrupted by symptoms. I say this because he’s literally interrupted. We were feeding our hermit crabs together when all of a sudden he just begins to sob. Like deep, sorrowful sobs. He’s looking at me with a look of confusion, telling me that he doesn’t know what’s wrong, his body feels weird and he feels... sad. A few moments later he recovers and we go on our way.

The doorbell rings and a friend comes in to play with him and in an instant he comes running to me, overcome with what looks like anxiety, crying and saying he feels weird and doesn’t know what’s wrong. Once again, he recovers in a minute and is on his way to play.

Then at dinner, we’re all sitting down at the dinner table when my son is startled and begins to cry in fear, telling me that he saw a dark shadow of a man standing in our bathroom. I believe he saw something from his mind. This moment really broke my heart, how terrifying that must have been for him.

At the grocery store, he becomes very irritable because the sound of his brother’s voice and footsteps are bringing his anger out.

Then tonight I had to hold him when he went into a rage and hit me because I said he couldn’t have ice cream before dinner. After his timeout he tells me that his anger is ruining his life.

I’m not sure what to make of all this. Are these just moments where his illness breaks through the medication? Is his medication now an incorrect dose as he grows? Are these side effects from the medication? These symptoms are familiar for the most part, but they’re so unexpected and come on in an instance and disappear just as fast. This has been unsettling to us both, I just want to wrap him in my arms to keep all his emotions together, protect him from the pain I know this is causing him. Overall I’m happy with the direction we’re going, but I don’t know how to avoid the bumps in the road.




4 comments:

  1. That is scary. I'm starting to wonder if there is such a thing as symptom free. Sigh...

    I hope you find out what's causing these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a Consult with his shrink would probably be useful. {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would call his pdoc. Is he on an antipsychotic? If not he might need a low dose of one - even if it's as needed - we use a tiny dose of one once or twice a week and it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor kid; that sounds scary. Yes, I would call his psychiatrist. We've had huge frustrations in the past 2 years keeping Carter stable. We've gotten him there several times, but it hasn't lasted long. Carter's psychiatrist told us that it's hard to medicate kids because (among other reasons) their livers and kidneys are so very efficient, so where an adult might become stable and stay on the same meds and doses for a long time, kids often don't do that.

    ReplyDelete