Saturday, August 21, 2010

Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

This past week, I took my son to see his therapist. I left feeling very discouraged, I’ll save those details for another post. But what I did take with me was some interesting advice.

My son was told to smell a lemon to help him with his anger, yeah, you read it right, he’s suppose to smell the yellow citrus fruit whenever he feels anger bubbling up inside. Our therapist told us to zest it up a bit to release the natural oils and that the smell of it will make his anger feel better. Now what’s interesting about this, is that my cousin was just showing me her essential oils for massages and the one she picked out was lemon because if you smell it, it can make you feel happy. I have to admit that it smelled very good and I didn’t feel any bad feelings while sniffing away, so maybe there’s something to this.

Now don’t get me wrong, this is in no way a replacement for medication and when my son is very angry, a lemon will just become a weapon that’s thrown at my head, but for those small moments, doing something may be better than doing nothing and you have to admit, the smell of lemons is fantastic.

So last night my son was having trouble falling asleep because he felt angry inside, so I gave him a lemon and he used it until he fell asleep. It was kinda neat, I felt like I was making lemonade out of lemons.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is REALLY interesting! I know my son is extremely sensitive to smells, so this may really do something for him. I think I will get some lemons and test this out this week. Thanks for the tip!

    Oh, and I laughed out loud when you said the lemon would become a weapon that's thrown at your head - SO TRUE! I'll remember to get smaller, softer ones when I'm shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on shopping for the soft lemons! Let me know if your son responds to this tip. Last night my son came back asking for his lemon since he was feeling angry again. I think it makes him feel good doing something about the bad feeling inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to add a few drops of essence of lemon (oil sold in the natural food section of most stores) to some water and put it in a small spray bottle and then he can "spray" his room whenever he wants. Aromatherapy is definitely underrated!! I keep a sprayer of lavender by my bedside for a relaxing night sleep. Try it out and tell your son that someone in Oregon is loving him!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I'm going to try that and I'll send him your love : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to Bath & Body works and got him some lemon scented hand sanitizers - he's obsessed with hand sanitizer for some weird reason and it has nothing to do with bacteria... I also got some of those room plug-in things with the lemon scent. If nothing else, our house will sure smell clean! We had a tough morning, so I was wishing I had lemons to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea on the hand sanitizer, I agree, that if at worst, your house smells clean, it's not such a bad thing!

    Sorry things aren't so smooth today, is it school causing it?

    ReplyDelete