Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Place to Call His Own


Last week, our family sat down for dinner and a moment later our son quickly left the table and ran upstairs. When I went to check on him, I found him lying on the floor crying.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I felt like I wanted to hurt somebody, so I ran to my room to get away from everyone.” he said.

WOW! This is huge. I see this as a big victory. For him to actually feel a bad feeling, then take steps to prevent hurting others is such a big step. It shows the medication is helping him think a little slower so he has time to react appropriately. It’s also showing that he’s learning how to cope.

The next day, my son asked if he could use our downstairs coat closet as a space for himself, he said that he needed a place where he could get away from everyone. I was intrigued by this idea, I mean, what kid wouldn’t want a place to call his own.

This is a unique closet that wraps under the staircase, creating a small space, like a little room. With great excitement, we moved out all the storage that had occupied the space. After the closet was empty, we began the fun part. We brought in a big bean bag, hung a clock and bulletin boards on the wall and added a small book rack. It was a perfect space and my son was smiling ear to ear.

I’m interested to see in the coming weeks if his new retreat becomes a place of comfort for him, if not, maybe I’ll need to sneak in there for a quiet moment of my own.


5 comments:

  1. Love it! It's such an awesome feeling when you take a step forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic! And for so many reasons!!

    ps- I would love a room like that too for myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine a mommy room? Lets see, it would definitely have my iphone, some chocolate, tea and a good book! Oh, it would also have sound proof walls so I couldn’t hear my kids fighting outside the door : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a great idea. In one of the schools near here there is a dark closet-like room for kids with sensory issues to go into and decompress during the school day. I wanted to go in there myself when subbing. Who doesn't need a room like that?

    ReplyDelete