Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Summertime Blues


Tonight, this post is more about myself, than my son. Summer is coming to an end, the kids go back to school on Thursday and as I think about our summer it all seems kind of... odd. I’ve been going through a weird phase, I guess you can call it the blues.

I think the weight of all we’ve been through and the concern that I have for the future have really brought me down. The long days with the kids, the stress, the lack of routine and not being able to sleep have taken its toll. I’ve been hurting a lot, I just don’t feel like me.

Can you relate?

But tonight, I’m feeling optimistic. The kids return back to school, giving me structure in our day as well as freedom from the “I’m bored” complaints. With the boys in school, there’ll be less fighting and maybe even some peace. We’ll also be returning to our church bible study group and connecting more socially, bringing a good dose of support.

It all reminds me of my childhood, when I would buy a new school outfit and supplies for the first day of school, everything felt like a fresh start, there was so much hope in the air. Tonight, I’m feeling that hope as I pack my boys’ backpacks and I’m praying that the end of summer will be that positive change that I so desperately need and an end to these summertime blues.

5 comments:

  1. I've felt that way MANY times! The blues are rough. But I've also felt the hope. Though this year I think I'm more nervous than hopeful.

    I hope the end of summer treats you well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the Summer Blues! Looking forward to a new school year. In hopes to get the right meds for my daughter and the help my little boy needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right with you! I have never been so happy to see summer come to an end. Looking forward to fresh starts and structure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across this quote today that I really connected with:

    "The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Something to remember as we navigate life with difficult children. Parenthood may not be all "sunshine and rainbows" for us, but we are learning to be compassionate, advocating for our kids, and hopefully making a difference for our children and, hopefully, for others in a similar situation. YOU are making a difference through this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gina, your quote is definitely something to keep in mind. My bible study this week has focused on love, and how it is the most important thing we can do. Your quote reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete