Monday, September 20, 2010

Getting Ready for the MRI

It’s Sunday night and we’re all packed for the doctors. We even have our son’s favorite stuffed animal tucked away along with the essential items, a DS with a Lego Star Wars Game. I think it’s safe to say that we’re finally ready for our 8:00 am MRI appointment tomorrow morning.

Since it would be hard for our son to sit perfectly still during the MRI for 45 minutes, we decided to have him put under general anesthesia. I’ve been told that the exam is very claustrophobic and the noises are very loud and unsettling. I don’t think it’s possible for him to do it any other way.

My son seems ok with it tonight, in fact, he said he’s kinda excited since it all seems so interesting. He told his dad that he gets to take a nap while the doctor takes pictures of his brain. To be honest, I think he’s just so excited to be getting out of school, what kid doesn’t like that!

My most immediate concern is that he’ll do well being under general anesthesia . It’s always scary going through procedures that carry risks. I remember when he was put under for a kidney test when he was younger and I was asked to sign papers acknowledging that one of the risks of anesthesia is death. I remember thinking... do I really have to sign this? It felt like I was signing approval for such dreadful results. But I had to remind myself that these unnerving papers are for lawyers and lawsuits.

So yes, I’m aware that there are risks to this procedure, but there are risks in taking medications to treat a mood disorder, so as a parent, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

We need to have this MRI to rule out any physical problems that may be causing all his symptoms, as his parents we feel it’s our responsibility to make sure our doctors investigate this.

The strange thing is, what are we specifically praying for? Are we praying for them to find something that can be removed? If not that, then are we praying for nothing to appear, which means this is a chemical imbalance and could last a lifetime? I find it difficult to pray specifically.

Then tonight, as I was tucking him into bed I had his younger brothers (ages 5 & 7 yrs.) surround him so we could put our hands on him and pray for him. It was, as you can imagine, kind of sweet at times and kind of frustrating when I had to stop during prayer to tell his brothers to stop “poking” their older brother. But it warmed my heart to hear my 5 year old son pray for his brother to, “feel better in Jesus’ name, amen”.

I think sometimes children see things clearer than adults, so I’m taking his lead and praying that my son will feel better, in the name of sweet Jesus, amen.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope the procedure goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, we just went through this with our six year old. I am thinking of you and your son and hoping it went well! Our son has a major fear of the hsopital so you can imagine his anxiety going there, but luckily he liked the toys and games in the pediatric wing so much, he wound up loving his day there and still talks about how much fun he had. We had our follow up with the neurologist on Monday and found there is a scar on his brain - from what, we'll never know - and there is nothing to be done for it, aside from the various therapies and medications we were already trying to treat his symptoms. While this answer was painful, it does rule out anything more serious and as you said, we felt we had a responsibility to go through it. (NOW, the bills rolling in are making ME sick! Seriously, unbelievable.) I am glad to know there are other families who are going through this process just trying to rule out problems to discover what's happening with our troubled kids. I hope you get a good positive report from his MRI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m sorry to hear about the scar they found. It must be very upsetting to not know how it happened. And the medical bills doesn't make it any easier!

    ReplyDelete