Friday, September 24, 2010

MRI Results!

I’m happy to share that my son’s MRI results came in as “normal”. The report stated that there were no tumors or lesions. This is a huge relief, we’re thrilled that he didn’t have something more serious going on. But I will admit that I wasn’t jumping up and down with excitement, because a part of me wished that there was something simple that they could fix and immediately cure him. I know that’s a silly thought, but after seeing my cousin healed after a benign tumor was removed from her pituitary gland, I know that these stories exist. On the flip side, I know that finding something could also bring devastating news. So I’m very thankful and know that God has answered our prayers.

Surprisingly, a funny thing showed up in the report. The doctors were not able to view the olfactory part of the brain because of his dental expander located on the roof of his mouth. I guess this metal caused “significant problems” in being able to view the image. Thankfully, this part of the brain deals with sense of smell, so I wasn’t too concerned about this. However, I will warn parents that are thinking about getting an MRI that you may want to talk about this with your doctor first. We were told that his dental work would be no problem, but they were obviously wrong. I would’ve been so upset if after putting our son through all that to find out that they didn’t get a good look at the vision or hearing part of his brain. So keep it in mind, maybe you’ll want to have the metal removed before putting your child under for an MRI to avoid this.

Another thing to consider is requesting copies of the images. I’m currently looking into this with our care provider. I thought it would be a good idea to have copies, in case 10 years from now they figure out how to see mental illness in brain scans. It may be a long shot, but you never know!

So, after all is said and done, do you wonder if it was worth it all to get these results? I would answer, absolutely! With these results I feel like I can move forward with confidence that we’re treating my son correctly, that he indeed should be taking his mood stabilizing drugs. I now have a peace about it and no longer wonder if we’re doing the right thing.

And peace of mind is priceless!

6 comments:

  1. A tip I've learned over the years.... if you tell the radiologist you need a copy of the MRI right then and there as it's being done, most hospitals will burn a disk for you at no cost. If you go back later and request a copy in the records dept. you will have to pay for it! I've not had a hospital tell me "no" yet and my son's had MRI scans at 4-5 different ones now. The drawback is you don't get the doctors report with the disk as it's not been read yet. I don't mind because the paper records are much cheaper than scans. After the scans are read, just request a copy of the report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, what a great tip Queen of the House, wish I knew about that then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news! I am glad that everything is normal. Not you can confidentially go forward with a treatment plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must say that I really love your blog!!! I'm praying for your son. I wanted to know if you have ever looked into having a brain SPECT scan done. It shows brain function and what parts of the brain are acting abnormal. I think it it more detailed than a MRI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for reading!

    No, I haven’t done a SPECT scan. What’s your experience with it? What can be determine from it? Where is it done?

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I know a brain SPECT scan shows blood flow to the structures of the brain. The MRI shows that your son's brain looks normal (structurally), but it does not show how it is functioning. (Kind of like looking at a car engine without turning it on.) The spect can be used as a tool to help diagnose neurological disorders. Hospitals can do the scan, but there are only a few places in the US that specialize in it. Look up Dr. Amen, Cerescan, and I think there is a place in Florida that does SPECT scans.

    ReplyDelete