Saturday, September 4, 2010

Shooting Stars


As evening approached, I took my boys to our community pool for a night swim. When we got there, my boys dived in, splashing around with big smiles on their faces. With the exception of my oldest, who felt overwhelmed by the other swimmers and immediately wanted to go home after about 3 minutes. I knew that there was no crowd and the pool was big enough for the few families that were there, but I’ve also come to realize that I can’t always make things better for him. So we called Dad to come and pick him up from the pool.

After he left, I felt very sad for him, he couldn’t even enjoy a simple swim at the pool, but I was also proud that he was aware of his limitations and took steps to help himself before he became overwhelmed and lashed out at someone.

I think my middle child was also feeling sadness for his older brother.

A moment later we both witnessed a bright shooting star that traveled across the sky above us. Then my middle child came up to me and said, “Hey Mom, I just saw a shooting star and instead of wishing for a cool toy, I made a wish that my brother would get better someday.”

I was touched by this moment, it reminded me that there’s so much love in our family and no matter what challenges we face, we face them together.


6 comments:

  1. Gosh dang it... you made me cry! What a sweet thing for younger brother to say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sweet. Thank goodness for moments like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama, has he been evaluated for being on the Autism spectrum as well as bp? A lot of the symptoms you describe sound like Autism spectrum issues to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question Meg. No he hasn't been tested, but we haven't seen enough similarities with this illness. I happen to babysit an autistic (aspergers) child. Even though both kids can rage, it is very different. Also, my son has the ability to hold it together while in public for the most part, where the boy I watch can't in any situation.

    My son also doesn't have the stereotypy behavior (flapping with hands, making sounds etc.), issues with language and eye contact, ritualistic behavior. If you met my son, you wouldn't know there was a problem, but if you met the child I babysit, you would know that he had a problem just by his social behavior. But I can say both kids have sensory issues. I think most of my son's social challenges come from his anxieties.

    I do think that there are a lot of the same behaviors seen in many different types of illness associated with the brain, I think that’s why it's so hard to get a diagnosis.

    Was is hard for you to get a diagnosis for your child? Have you always known what it was?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a lot of love in your family. Your middle child is so precious. Give them all a kiss from me.
    Love you,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete