Sunday, October 3, 2010

Trileptal in the News!

According to The New York Times, Novartis, the manufacturer of Trileptal, agreed to pay $422.5 million to settle the criminal investigation into the marketing of Trileptal and 5 other drugs for off-label use. This includes the use of Trileptal for bipolar disorder. The drug was only approved by the FDA for anti-seizure use. Doctors may prescribe drugs for off-label use, but companies can not market it that way. Federal prosecutors accused Novartis of giving kickbacks to doctors, but the company denied doing it. (Wilson, 2010) You can read the article here:
My son takes trileptal. When I recently tried to have it refilled, I was told the manufacturer had it on backorder. So my first concern is that my son may have a challenge in getting his prescription filled if this lawsuit affects the availability of his medication. And second, I wonder if my doctor was influenced in any way. I would say “no”, since this abuse happened before 2004. Also, this was the 3rd mood stabilizer that my son was put on. Since it wasn’t a first choice of hers, I doubt that our doctor was influenced in any way. But it makes you wonder what influences our doctors may be exposed to.
So what are your thoughts?

* * *
The New York Times
By: Duff Wilson
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/01/health/policy/01novartis.html
Published: September 30, 2010
Consulted: October 3, 2010

5 comments:

  1. I don't know much about Triletpal but I think the doctors can face a lot pressure to prescribe certain meds. That said, there are only so many bp meds out there - especially mood stabilizers - so I don't think it's a huge concern. And Lithium and Depakote are very inexpensive. It's more of an issue with the atypical antipsychotics (Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon). That's where the money is because those are the meds where the patents are still in effect. Lamictal is probably a big money one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I had heard something about that....but that's still crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wonder how does these drugs even get a green before they are flowed through the market...thnks for the information

    ReplyDelete
  4. My concern here is that the drug is backordered. I thought people were supposed to be weaned off drugs such as Trileptal. I think it is very irresponsible on all sides to leave the patients "hanging" through no fault of their own. My husband has been taking Trileptal for years to treat trigeminal neuralgia (an extremely painful condition). The pharmacy thinks nothing of telling us that the drug is backordered with an indeterminate date. What are we supposed to do now?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a new backorder with Trileptal? This post was written in 2010, I wasn't aware that there was another problem. Is there?

      Delete