Friday, December 3, 2010

Goodness on a Roll

Well I’m very excited to share that the Director of Psychiatry called me yesterday and asked specifically what he could do to make things better. I was also impressed that the first thing he said was that he was sorry for what we’ve gone through so far and thanked me for the opportunity to make things right. I have to say, I was very impressed, the last thing I expected from our HMO was customer service.

After a quick conversation, he said that he was pulling together a small team to determine what psychiatrist would be best for our son’s needs and I would get a call from another individual. Believe it or not, several hours later I got that call and was told that they had already found a doctor that they all agreed would be great. It’s a little farther away, but not much that it makes any difference to me. I was then told that they were going to see what they can work out and call me back soon with more info or even an appointment.

I took a peek at this new psychiatrist and was so impressed. He’s the Assistant Chief in the department of Psychiatry for this city. I noticed on his website that he does work with all ages and has a particular interest in mood disorders. (yay!) He has a ton of experience from being on full time faculty in the Department of Psychiatry at a respected university to consulting pediatrics who treat children with serious physical illnesses such as cancer and transplants. He’s run inpatient units for teens with depression and other disorders. He’s worked in private psychiatric hospitals and residential treatment hospitals. He also participates on clinical faculty at a second university as a clinical professor. Prior to working for my HMO, he had his own private practice for 15 years.

I really have a gut feeling that this guy may be what we need. Then I met with my friend who has a bipolar child in her 20’s and she said she has only heard good things about this doctor. So now, I really, really, hope we get to switch to this doctor.

I’m not sure if they need to see if he’s accepting new patients or not, but either way, they did say that they wanted to get us in contact with a new doctor, as soon as possible, so we can make sure that my son’s meds are all set to make him stable so he doesn’t experience another episode of psychosis.

Pray we get this doctor!

7 comments:

  1. I sure will! Everything seems more manageable when you know you've got someone that has some power to make the situation better on your side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying right now!!! I am so encouraged for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WONDERFUL!!! We are praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have so much good news in the last few days! I'm so excited for you and I hope that this will culminate in proper treatment!

    ReplyDelete