Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jane Pauley and Bipolar Disorder




Watch the video clip of former Dateline NBC cohost Jane Pauley who shares her struggle with bipolar disorder in an interview with Today’s Matt Lauer .

In the link below you can read an excerpt from Jane Pauley’s book Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue where she describes her experience of living with bipolar disorder. Just scroll below the video clip to read her own words.

I thought it was much more interesting than the interview above, it gives a detailed view of an adult living with hypomania brought on by her steroid and antidepressant use, both that are known to bring out symptoms of bipolar disorder if taken without a mood stabilizer. And just to clarify, steroids and antidepressants don’t cause bipolar disorder, instead they just bring out the symptoms of the disease that is already present. That’s why it’s so important to get a second opinion when being prescribed an antidepressant. For those with bipolar disorder, this drug taken without a mood stabilizer can bring on intense mood swings, including the crash that follows that can potentially lead to suicidal behavior.

Check out her book excerpt!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5887567/ns/dateline_nbc-books/from/toolbar

* * *

Video Source:
MSNBC
updated 9/4/2004 12:56:08 AM ET
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5887567/

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I had no idea! I'm passsing this on to my dh as he is concerned that our kiddos may likely have no hope for the future and will not go to college or get a job or whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been diagnosed with general anxiety and general depressive disorder and have been on lexapro, welbutrin, cymbalta with topomax....I seem to be depressed and irratible no matter what happens. Periodically (very rarely) I'll have a really good day, but other than that all I want to do is eat and sleep. I've still been making it to work, but I feel like i'm slowly spiraling out of control and this is taking its toll on my family and relationships.

    Going to a therapist today...but I really am thinking that I may be bioplar...stress seems to make my symptoms worse.

    Help...mdepressed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles. I’m glad to read you’re going to a therapist, keep that appointment! If you don't feel like the therapist is listening to you, try again until you get the help you need. I struggled in the beginning with a therapist that didn't understand my son’s symptoms, it wasn't until I changed doctors several times that I got the care we needed.

    I’m not a doctor and have very limited experience so I can’t give you any advice. I can only encourage you to keep seeking help until you feel better. It may take a lot of different doctors, and trying different medications, but if you aren't feeling well, you need help today. So don't give up if the first medication doesn't work, or you aren't getting the help you need in therapy, I know there’s help out there that can make a world of difference.

    If you don't already, you may want to seek support with someone you trust around you. I imagine if you feel depressed and all you want to do is eat and sleep, it may be challenging to pursue the help you need, so asking someone to help you may be good for you.

    Sending you (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete