Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Contagious Nightmares

This morning when I woke up my middle child (8 years old) he appeared started and began to cry. When I asked him what was wrong he said through tears that he was having a bad dream. As mother’s do, I gently reminded him that it wasn’t real and that it was only a nightmare.

My son responded with, “Yeah, but this could come true.”

When I asked him what his dream was about he said, “Big brother was in a rage and was attacking me and my little brother and you and Daddy couldn’t help us”.

It was then that I realized that nightmares caused from a mood disorder are contagious, you only have to be around someone with the disorder to have nightmares like this.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is tough. :(

    My other son has started going to the couselor at school to talk about his home life and what's it's like. It really is good for him to have a non-biased listening ear and to learn some strategies to cope with his home life.

    ReplyDelete