Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bath Therapy

This week has seen its ups and downs, my poor husband came home last night to be greeted by a wife who needed a good cry. Thankfully, my sweet husband has learned to listen and let me cry on his shoulder after one of those bad days, he was so good at gently reminding me that it was an illness we were dealing with and not a son that wanted to hurt me.

Today was better, but my son was still feeling a lot of anger inside. He did a great job of letting me know when he was struggling without taking it out on us and was very willing to try something to get better. So we went with our old stand by, a nice warm bath.

If you haven’t tried this with your child, give it a shot. If I can get my son into a warm bath for him to relax, he becomes completely transformed. It seems to dissolve his anger and tension and once done, he comes out with a smile and relaxed look on his face, it’s like the water melts away the bad mood, letting him shine through. To make the experience extra special, we’ve even added special lavender bubble bath for him to use.

I know it’s simple, but for us, it works like a charm. The trick is to get him into the bath before he escalates and becomes resistant to help. Heck, I bet we’d all benefit from a warm bath after a tough day, I need to keep that in mind for myself in the future!

12 comments:

  1. Ah, yes...we too have experienced the power of a warm bath to wash away the anger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would completely agree! Warm baths help melt away the stress. When Mary was 3, she would take several baths a day. I found that she would be extremely happy and play for long periods of time in there. As soon as I would see signs of a meltdown, I would start the bath water running and that avoided hours of rages and tantrums. Our water bill was outrageous, but that was a price well worth paying to give her peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. We've certainly had our fair share of those days around here. I'm glad the bath helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today my son had a minor spill on his bike (at least physically) and a good bath went a long way towards easing his scrapes and his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather-I hope your son is ok from his bike spill, after my son’s last fall it took a while to get his confidence back to ride again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you guys mention the bike spill... my son learned to ride his bike two summers ago. Learned quickly and was having a blast. Had a spill and hasn't gotten on AT ALL. An entire summer went by and he out and out refused to get back on. He still refuses. I know he could do it and I know he'd love it. Any suggestions on that?

    Baths are a great tool in our house, too, but we sometimes end up with a meltdown over when to get OUT of the tub. Does anybody else have that problem? He could be in there over an hour and when I tell him it's time to get out, it's a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama Bear -

    For us Baths with Epsom salts have been HUGE!! They don't work for all kids, but I have found they do work for a lot.

    :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa- What a good idea! Where do you get epsom salt? How does it help?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gina- Sorry I wish I had some good advice on the bike issue, we just waited until he was ready, I think he was prompted when his dad offered to take him on a special ride, that is what motivated him.

    As for the bath, we leave him until he’s ready, it’s a good break for us all and we even let him go at bedtime, we keep it very flexible. So far, no problem on getting him out. I think he leaves when the water gets cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 11 year old daughter with mood disorders loves the bath, it is her go to place when she feels "edgy" the trick is to get her in there before she escalates! As for the bike, she fell off once when she was 5 after never riding before and refuses to try again. I have given up on the bike! There are bigger battles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to giving up on some stuff to fight the bigger battles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete