Thursday, March 31, 2011

Creativity in Mood Disorders

Last year I attended the Mood Disorders Education Day at Stanford. Today I noticed on their website that they have an audio clip available to listen to Clinic Chief, Terence A. Ketter, M.D. who is internationally known for his groundbreaking research on the neurobiology of mood disorders, speak about creativity and it’s association with Mood Disorders. If you would like to hear it yourself, visit their website, www.bipolar.org and look for the link on the bottom half of the page. Once you click there you’ll see a second page, look for With AUDIO! Creativity in Mood Disorders under 2010 - 6th Annual Mood Disorders Education Day. Not only will you be able to listen to Dr. Ketter’s presentation, but you’ll be able to view the slideshow as well. Check it out, it’s pretty fascinating stuff!

* * *

Keep your eyes out for the 2011 Mood Disorders Education day, they may have it this July, I’ll let you know when I see a firm date. If you haven’t attended before, it’s a day designed for families and those suffering with mood disorders.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I found Dr. Ketter's conclusions about channeling emotions into creativity reassuring. I also found it highly interesting that the creatives tracked with the bipolars on many of the tests. My son hates drawing--but has started making pine needle baskets and really exploring his creativity with those. (I think the drawing issue is the perfectionism thing, he gets frustrated that his drawings don't look like mine with my 35+ years of experience.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather- That's great that your son found a way to express his creativity. My son is big on inventing stuff, today he was making a kite out of straws and plastic he found around the house. I think he finds more joy in creating things then actually playing with them. It is really fascinating to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fascinating to watch a process in progress, isn't it? I also shared this article with my Father-in-law, who lives with us, and has bipolar. He was so thankful for it because it gave him some positive validation. He discovered his bipolar late in life after it had really wrecked havoc with him, and he had to pay some steep consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather- That’s great that you could share this with your Father-in-law. It is sad to think of so many people suffering through the years, not knowing that there was a reason for all the pain. I hope science gets better along with public awareness and treatment so lives don't have to be wrecked.

    ReplyDelete