Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Massage: A Healing Touch

Over the years, we’ve experimented with many calming techniques, but my son’s favorite is head massage. Fortunately for me, I’m blessed to have talented relatives who are certified in massage. So when they offered to teach me a few things, I jumped on the opportunity. I have to say, it was pretty easy to learn and I was amazed how effective a few simple moves were.

After my training, I went home and asked if I had any volunteers, of course all three of my boys ran to get in line.

First, I put on some soft music and placed a drop of lemon essential oil on their temples to bring a feeling of happiness. I don’t know if it worked, but my kids got a kick out of it. I will say that even our therapist suggested smelling lemons for happiness, so I believe there’s something to this.

Next, I began the massage with slow calm movements. The boys just melted in my hands, I could see their wiggling slowing down and their breathing becoming more relaxed. Even my husband loved it, requesting a head massage on his birthday. He relaxed so much that he began snoring during the massage.

What cracked me up was when my middle child approached me the following day saying, “Mom, I think me and my brothers are going to need another massage tonight, because we’ve been building legos all day and our heads are tired!”

When it comes to my son’s mood disorder, we’ve found massage to be very effective. Now I wouldn’t recommend trying it when they’re highly agitated, but when you can see the tension growing, it’s a great solution for calming your child down before they become too upset.

We’ve also used massage to help on nights where my son is feeling stressed about falling asleep. It’s perfect for calming his body down, helping him relax and breathe. My son said, “it helps make me tired and ready for bed”.

You don’t have to get all fancy with music and oils, just having your child lay on the couch or bed and massage their forehead can make a world of difference.

If you’re new to massage, I’ve included a YouTube clip showing some simple techniques we use, everyone seems to love the forehead movements the most. Give it a try and see if it helps, maybe you too have magic fingertips!

* * *

Special thanks to my “Flower Girls”!

Video Source:
Uploaded on YouTube by  on Dec 8, 2008
www.Naturalsundae.com

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I will definitely give the head massage a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty- Great! Let us know how the massage works for you.

    ReplyDelete