Monday, March 28, 2011

Stand Up for Mental Health



Laughter is good medicine. I know first hand because I married a very funny man, the kind of guy who makes a room full of people laugh where ever we go. I have to say, his material is pretty funny stuff, so funny I’ve asked him not to use “his wife” for his jokes. It was common early in our marriage to hear my husband bring a room to tears as they laughed at little ol’ me. Thankfully, my husband has been sweet enough to keep me out of his comedy bits, but we still have a ton of stuff to laugh at.

Sometimes, finding laughter in the tough times can be very healing. More than once, my husband and I have been able to experience the feeling of empowerment when laughing at something that once brought us great pain. I think once you can laugh at a bad situation, you’re already on your way to mending those wounds.

About a year ago, I came across Stand Up for Mental Health, an organization that unites comedy with mental health with the goal of creating confidence and positive self esteem in those who suffer from mental illness, while fighting the stigma associated with it. The founder David Granirer, who suffers from depression himself, teaches comedy classes to those with different mental disorders. Once they master the skill, they set out to perform publicly in conferences, treatment centers, psych wards, corporations, colleges and the general public.

“We use comedy to give consumers a powerful voice and help reduce the stigma and discrimination around mental illness” says Granirer. “The idea is that laughing at our setbacks raises us above them. It makes people go from despair to hope, and hope is crucial to anyone struggling with adversity. Studies prove that hopeful people are more resilient and also tend to live longer, healthier lives.” (Granirer, 2000)
 
Check out the links provided then visit standupformentalhealth.com to see more funny clips and upcoming show dates where you can see the show live. Enjoy!



Melanie Rose, Stand Up for Mental Health Comic:





Short Documentary about Melanie Rose 
and how Stand Up for Mental Health has helped her:




* * *

References:
Stand Up for Mental Health 
David Granirer 
http://www.standupformentalhealth.com
2000 
Consulted: March 27, 2011


Video Source:
David Granirer's take on Stigma: Uploaded on YouTube by psychocomic1 on Jan 26, 2009
Melanie Rose, Stand Up For Mental Health Comic: Uploaded on YouTube by psychocomic1 on Jan 31, 2009
BCIT TV Feature Project: Uploaded on YouTube by Canucklehead2009 on May 18, 2009


3 comments:

  1. I needed a good laugh! I had never heard of this before so I will have to post about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Bear- I read your posts all the time- you are an inspiration. Thanks for finding all these great links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the pink- Cool! Let us know when you post, I would love to check it out!

    E- Thanks for reading! I appreciate your feedback, it’s what keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete