Friday, March 25, 2011

Strength in Scriptures

I’ve been fortunate to find support through may people in my life, each bringing me just what I needed at just the right time. Sometimes it’s someone to cry with, other times it’s someone to laugh with and forget my worries, and in one particular friend, it’s to find love and support through God’s word. This friend of mine has suffered great challenges as a mom. Her son was diagnosed with a very dangerous brain tumor at the age of 7.

Though our challenges are very different, there’s a lot we share as mothers with children that are suffering. Through long heartfelt talks we’ve shared our fears for our children and our questions to God about why this was happening to our family. My dear friend has walked through some very dark times and is blessed to come out the other side with her son still alive.

During one particular get together, I was feeling very discouraged and sad for my son and our family. I remember asking her about her darkest times and how she got through it. In one word she said, “scriptures!”

She shared how after they were given the awful news about their son’s prognosis, members from our church got together and picked out scriptures from the bible for her to read for encouragment. They presented theses scriptures in a big jar, each written on a separate piece of paper. She shared how each day her family would turn to this jar to pull out yet another life giving scripture to lift them up and keep their eyes focused on God and his power, not the cancer that was attacking their son.

As time went on, she found herself turning to these scriptures all throughout the day. It was what kept her going. She would wake up in the middle of the night in a panic with the sick realization that her son may die, so she would pull out these little pieces of paper to read the scriptures, giving her piece of mind to fall back to sleep. Soon she had the scriptures taped on the wall throughout her house and on her mirrors in her bathroom, she was surrounded by God’s word and God was faithful in giving her strength and hope each and every day.

After our visit together, my friend sent me some of those scriptures so I could have them ready in my bible for when I needed them. Seeing this an opportunity to teach my son about using God’s word for strength, I printed some of them on a piece of paper to hang over his bed in his room and shared how he could turn to God’s word when he needed strength or to fight his fears. Since then, we’ve read them together and he’s read them alone.

For that one person who may need these scriptures today or a year from now, I have included some of them below. I pray that they will encourage you as they have for my family.


Psalm 55:16-18
As for me, I will call upon God, and the Lord shall save me. Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice. He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me.

Psalm 71:20-21
You, who have shown me great and severe troubles, shall revive me again, and bring me up again from the depths of the earth. You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.

Psalm 55:22 
Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall.

Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death or life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. 



* * *

Here’s a link to my response to one of the questions asked in the comments below:

Why Would God Do This?
http://mysonhas2brains.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-would-god-do-this.html


4 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for these wonderful scriptures that encourage you and me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that scripture comforts many, however, how do you get past the "Why does God put this burden on me/my son/my husband?". My 11 year old son has dx of ADHD and bipolar, and my husband was diagnosed at age 36 with bipolar which reared itself after a bout with mono. There was always a family history of mood disorders, but he showed no symptoms until he became sick with the immune disease. It has been devastating and debilitating for my husband, and so difficult for my son and our family. I ask seriously, how do you get to that comfort place with God? I am so angry that this mood disorders rule my life now. Why would my God do this to me? to us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,
    Thank you for this great question. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how to respond to you and apparently I wrote too much for this comment box. So I have created a new post with your question and my answer so that I could completely respond and also so I can share my heart with others who may have the same question.

    Check out my response at:

    http://mysonhas2brains.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-would-god-do-this.html

    I look forward to any more questions you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve included a “live” link for my post “Why Would God Do This” at the end of the post above that you can click on!

    ReplyDelete