Thursday, April 28, 2011

Carly’s Voice



Even though my blog is about mood disorders, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share this amazing video with you. It’s about a girl who’s been unable to communicate due to her severe autism. At one point during her teen years, she sat at a computer for the first time and began to type out words. Since then, she’s been able to communicate with her parents in a way they can finally understand, for them, it was like meeting her for the first time. She is smart, witty and pretty much like any other teenage girl.

This story is heart warming and encouraging. She proves to the world that we have so much more to learn about autism and other brain disorders. I was moved by this story especially when she explained the reason for her behaviors and how even though she knows the difference between right and wrong, she has a fight in her brain over it, it made me think of my own son and how misunderstood he is.

If there was one thing she would share about autism it is, “I don’t want to be this way, but I am. Don’t be mad, be understanding.”

Another comment she made really struck a chord with me after the events of my last post, Dear Neighborhood Mom. Carly says, “I am autistic, but that is not who I am, take time to know me, before you judge me.”

You won’t regret watching this story, I know it’s long, but it’s well worth your time!

Check out Carly’s website where she communicates with the world:
http://carlysvoice.com/

* * *

Video Source:
Uploaded on YouTube by  on Aug 18, 2009


2 comments:

  1. OMG! What an incredible insight to the mind of an autistic sufferer. Thank you for posting this. It just goes to show that appearances are very deceptive. Such an inspirational woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly an inspiration!! She is an amazing woman despite her condition. I've watched the video and I'm really touched and inspired by her. Thank you for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete