Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Warrior Gene

This week on the Dr. Phil show, they aired an episode called Born to Rage about individuals who have the “warrior gene”. According to the show, a new study suggests that this gene, if in your DNA, makes you more prone to rage than others. One of the characteristics of the warrior gene is someone who goes from 1–10 instantly. They usually respond impulsively with anger to everyday situations, especially when things don’t go as expected.

I don’t know about the authenticity of this gene and research, but it did make me wonder... would my own son test positive for it? Either way, it’s interesting and I hope that one day they’ll be able to look into our genes to determine what’s going on with our kids.

So, have you heard about this gene, if so, what do you think about it?

You can read about this episode on the Dr. Phil show here:
http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1626/

* * *

More on the Warrior Gene:

“Warrior Gene” Predicts Aggressive Behavior After Provocation
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090121093343.htm 

National Geographic and Henry Rollins explore “warrior gene”
http://www.scpr.org/news/2010/12/14/national-geographic-and-henry-rollins-explore-warr/

* * *

Video Source:
Uploaded on YouTube by  on Mar 31, 2011



4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard about this but my first reaction was "Please, please don't let them connect this to mental illness in any way.".

    Also, if they come up with a definitive way to test for the warrior gene before coming up with a definitive test showing that mental illness is a physical illness, a chemical imbalance...I will be highly upset.

    Sometimes I don't understand the way this world works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of two kids that may have that gene. It is something else to see a child go from happy to screaming and crying in under a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Pink- How did they find out these kids had the warrior gene?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of the warrior gene, but do believe there is at least a genetic predisposition to what some call impulsive aggressive tendencies. My husband and kids are living proof of it.

    ReplyDelete