Monday, April 25, 2011

Way to Go Demi Lovato!

A shout-out goes to Demi Lovato who announced to the world that she too is struggling with Bipolar Disorder in an interview with ABC’s 20/20 and People magazine. If you’re like me, you may be clueless as to who she is, but thanks to google I can fill you in. She’s a Disney star with a pop music career and her own tv show, Sonny with a Chance, and has been following the footsteps of Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez. I’m sure if you asked your kids, they would recognize her.

In an interview with People magazine, Demi shared that after seeking treatment for her eating disorder, depression and self-harming, cutting behavior, she found out that she has bipolar disorder.

“In reality, I’m a teenage girl with real issues, and I needed to address them”... No matter how tough it gets, “I’m determined to fight this,” says Lovato, who also hopes that by opening up about her “darkest hour” she can reach those battling similar demons. (People, May 2, 2011, p. 82)

At the young age of 18, she’s decided to share her story with the world. With so many young teens secretly battling these very issues, I’m so happy to see a young public role model open up and share how she regained her life back after in-patient treatment, medication and therapy.

Way to go Demi Lovato!!! 

* * *

You can read about her story in the latest issue of People magazine where Catherine Zeta-Jones is on the cover sharing her private struggle with Bipolar Disorder.
May 2, 2011 issue

Link to 20/20 Interview shown above:
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/demi-lovato-turmoil-teen-star-disney-2020-13440850

* * *

References: 
People 
Sharon Cotliar 
May 2, 2011

Video Source:

ABC News
Consulted: April 25, 2011

5 comments:

  1. Finally some successful people with productive lives are standing up and saying they have Bipolar. I get so frustrated when others think that bipolar means you can't lead a fulfilling life. I have all the hope in the world for your son. Hopefully the stigma will be less when he is older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Bear, as the mom of a nine-year-old girl, I'm very aware of who Demi Lovato is, but I hadn't heard about this story. I can't wait to share it with Bug as she's a big fan of Demi's and and wants to be a singer herself! It always helps her to know there are successful young adults out there with bipolar. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Pink!

    Bug's Mom-Oh I’m so glad you could share this with Bug! My son thought it was cool that she had similar challenges as him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never buy People magazine but this time I did and I too am SO glad that Demi and Catherine are stepping out and sharing with the world their struggles. This will make it easier for so many of us out here struggling with the stigma of mood disorders!! We need this kind of publicity and our kids need to read about other people out there who have careers and big psychiatric issues too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog. Please do visit my blog and leave your footprints behind by posting comments:-

    http://parentingworkshop.blogspot.com/

    http://fun-with-mails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete