Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Final Days

Recently, there was a lot of media attention about Harold Camping’s prediction for the end of the world on May 21, 2011. While his faithful followers prepared for the end, I couldn’t help but wonder what they chose to do during their final days. Today, as I looked at our school calendar, I realized that I’m in my final days of “peace on earth”. Summer vacation is quickly approaching, I only have 7 days left until my children spend their every waking hour with me. 7 days!!!!

I have mixed feelings about this. A part of me thinks... Yay! No more getting up early, packing school lunches or fighting over homework assignments. Then there’s the selfish side of me that thinks... Oh NO!!!!!! No more quiet time during my day. I’m going to be refereeing sibling rivalry 24/7. Then the practical side of me thinks... How will I get my house cleaning done and when will I grocery shop? Everything I do gets more complicated. But what I fear the most is the dark cloud of boredom that transforms my son, bringing on more challenging behaviors. Just this weekend, I got a glimpse of “it” when my son felt miserable, even while at the swimming pool, because of “boredom”.

As summer quickly approaches, I feel more prepared then the previous summer vacation. I’ve learned a lot this year and hope that it makes a difference. My son has learned coping skills and communicates so much better. Overall, I feel a lot more optimistic, even looking forward to some good quality time. But still, it’s the unknowns and memories of past rages that make me nervous. It’s the same feeling I get when I’m beginning a roller coaster ride and the car is slowly riding up the hill... click, click, click...

So, before I take the big plunge into summer vacation, what will I do with my final 7 days? Whatever it is, I need to enjoy a little peace and quiet.

* * *

How are you preparing for summer vacation? Do you have butterflies too?

* * *

Image Provided by:
S Brumley
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/LilGoldWmn

5 comments:

  1. I am downright scared. But I have to admit, I like the relaxed nature of summer. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your apprehension! My son has been doing well (perhaps even stable) the past couple of months on a combo of depakote, lithium and Strattera. I have found the biggest difference in his emotional outbursts and episodes of boredom have decreased drastically with the introduction of Strattera.

    I'm anticipating a summer filled with times of joy and tough times too. We have been rage-free too, but those memories are still so fresh and raw that it's hard to be able to completely forget them and that they will most likely return (in some form) sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. I am jealous of my friends who are looking forward to outings and vacations when it seems like meltdown central here. Everything is harder. Little victories are worth the trouble of trying to keep the boredoms away. I feel a little more prepared this round too. Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son does not have any disorders, yet still has a hard time having fun during summer break. I am three days into it and the crying is driving me crazy. This is supposed to be a fun time however I too have emotions that come from past experience which leads me to feel very tense very quickly. I am not sure if he just can't handle the routine change or is bored or what, but it is frustrating.Thank you for writing because I was feeling down and know I am not the only one out there with mixed emotions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DMCR- Yes, you aren't alone, summers can be hard on everyone. I have even noticed my other kids without disorders struggling with the boredom of summer. It seems we feel our worst when we’re at home. I find the more we get out of the house the better we do, sometimes : )

    ReplyDelete