Friday, May 6, 2011

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth



I saw this news story on the Today show and found it pretty interesting. If anything, a little encouraging. I’ll be honest and say that I’m very concerned about how my son is integrating in the social world at school. By no means do I wish him to be popular, but when I hear that he’s alone at recess, I get so worried for him and concerned about what impact this will have on him in the future.

In this news story, Matt Lauer interviews the author, Alexandra Robbins of The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, about her new book that takes a look at why some kids fit in and others don’t. In her interview, she shares that the kids that don’t fit in, most often become the most successful after graduation. She explains that what makes you different and an outcast in high school is the same thing that makes you stand out in a positive way as an adult, she calls this the “Quirk Theory”. She explains that these individuals are brave enough to be true to themselves and bring creativity to the world. She encourages us to look at examples like Bill Gates and Bruce Springsteen who claimed to be an outcast in high school, they’re now shining examples of the “Quirk Theory”.

I don’t know what lies ahead for my son, but I pray he survives the tough school years ahead to show the world how truly magnificent he is.

So, do you too have concerns for your child’s social life and how they’re fitting in?

* * *
You can read the prologue to her book here:

* * *
References:
Today
The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth
Alexandra Robbins
Date Consulted: May 5, 2011

Video Source:
Provided by MSNBC

4 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly believe they will! When I see the way my son thinks, I am always amazed. Now if we could just get him to apply himself he might be on his way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have concerns for all my children all the time. I am not sure the "quirkiness theory" applies to children who do not fit in because of mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't "mental illness" take the trophy for "quirkiness". We're all a little mentally ill on one level or another. I think the message to our kids should be about finding a path to channel whatever quirkiness they may have. Temple Grandin is a great example of an autistic woman who made an amazing career from her "quirks" and her different way of seeing the world. Being a kid is difficult for any child, mental illness raises the issue to a whole new level of challenges. The bottom line is still how do we learn to walk through the world from each of our own unique perspectives. Keep loving and learning Mama Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RedBird- Thanks for the wise words!

    ReplyDelete