Thursday, May 5, 2011

Missed Melatonin Dose

Last night we forgot to give my son his nightly dose of melatonin, but it didn’t seem like it was such a big deal because he fell right to sleep after a fun evening on a slip and slide. But sometime in the night, we were reminded of our mistake when he woke up frightened because of never ending nightmares of him being killed by a murderer. Then this morning, he plopped onto the couch saying, “I don’t feel so well.” A moment later he said with tears in his eyes, “I feel pathetic.”

This was certainly a good indication that the melatonin is making a difference on not only how he sleeps, but how he feels the next day.

Sometimes, I find that when my son is taking a certain medication for a long period of time, and we still see mood swings come and go, it’s hard to realize the positive affects the medication is having on him. The medication gives him a “new norm” and how bad he once was is easily forgotten.


3 comments:

  1. Poor sweetie, it must be so terrible to have such nightmares all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can sooooo relate! I was hoping for a time that what we had been experiencing was that sort of "new norm" or if we needed to keep searching for greater improvement. Now however, she seems to be getting more volatile and isn't even stable enough again to be trusted with her younger siblings to be safe.
    I'll get an update up this week on my blog.

    ReplyDelete