Monday, June 6, 2011

I Salute You Sister Soldier!

This past weekend my husband and I went on a date to the movies. As I was getting out of our car in the movie theatre parking lot, I heard the screams of an adult woman. I quickly searched the parking lot to see what was going on when I saw a woman thrashing around in the rain and screaming beside a car stopped in the middle of the road. At first I thought... Oh No! I think she may have been hit by the car in the parking lot. But a moment later, an older woman approached her quickly, taking the screaming woman down to the ground and placing her into a hold while remaining calm and in control. Within seconds, she had the security there to assist her as she directed them what to do, as she lovingly stroked the face of the screaming woman, while holding her to the wet pavement. It didn’t take long for me to recognize that this wasn’t an accident, but a rage of some sort. And even though we were a distance away, I could tell by the older woman’s actions that this was not something new, but instead something she was very experienced in handling.

I have to say, I felt a connection to this older woman, even though we were complete strangers and I was a parking lot away, I felt like we were “sisters soldiers” fighting a secret war. My husband and I didn’t stick around since things were under control and we didn’t want to make them feel more uncomfortable, but I couldn’t help but think of this woman throughout the weekend and how impressed I was with her ability to handle such a stressful, public episode with strength and love.

So, to the unknown woman and all my other “sister soldiers”, I salute you in doing one of the toughest jobs I know, while keeping your head held high and letting your love shine through when it’s needed most.


1 comment:

  1. I had something similar happen in the grocery store. I heard a child swearing and screaming at the top of his lungs. His mother calmly ignored him as she tried to check out. Other people snickered, but I just gave her a knowing smile.

    ReplyDelete