Sunday, June 19, 2011

Starting Lamictal

We are 3 days in with Lamictal. I don’t know that I can report it’s effectiveness anytime soon, since it takes weeks to get to the therapeutic dose, but I’m happy to share that my son is free of side effects.

As for the rages, well that’s another story. We had a fantastic day yesterday, but tonight he went into another rage. Fortunately, thanks to my husband, I have my energy and emotional strength back. In my last post, I Surrender, I had to ask for help. I’m blessed to have a wonderful husband that came home and made dinner for the kids, while taking over all parenting, so I could recover from my day. For the record, I never gave up on my son, I will forever be by his side, but to be an effective parent, I realized that it’s vital to take a moment to recover. I so often make the mistake of refusing to ask for help because I hate to burden others, but I’m slowly learning that this is a marathon, not a sprint, so I need to pace myself and ask for help when I need it.

With my energy restored, I made it a point to tell my son that we love him during the rage and that we were trying to help him. So many times, I’ve found it easy to get caught up in the argument, but now, I’m trying to work on saying a whole lot less as he rages, while reminding him that he’s loved, even if he’s trying to hurt me.

After his rage, he started to have what appeared to be rapid cycling. As he went from crying, to a small giggle, then back to crying, all in a matter of 1 minute, he desperately cried, “help”. When I asked him what was wrong, he softly said that his moods keep changing. I continued to comfort him as I reminded him that this was going to pass before he feel asleep from the exhaustion of the rage.

As I reflected on the moment, I desperately wished our psychiatrist would give me comfort on what was happening with my son.

* * *

Happy Father’s Day to my loving husband. Thank you for being my strength when I am weak. I love you!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new medication! It's nice to see that you are finally taking care of yourself and asking for help. You are a wonderful mother!
    Love you,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a wonderful job for your son and it is not easy to ask for help! Give yourself credit for doing so. Bless all of you--you sound like a family that all loves eachother very much. That will get you through rough times like this. Hang in there-we are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope the Lamictal helps your son! I think we are going to start it soon, too. It's what our doctor recommended to replace Abilify, which has helped Bug but caused her to gain quite a bit of weight. I just read your last post, too, and am so sorry to hear what you've been going through. Although Bug's doing really well right now (other than the weight), she's been where your son's been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your support, it helps a lot when we are in the thick of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Occasional reader here. Just wanted to say that titrating up on lamictal has been horrible for us, but once you get to the right dose (which takes forever!), it is a good med. We were really worried because our son was rapid cycling, raging, really having a rough time, and we thought we'd destabilized everything. I read some stuff on an adult meds site (crazymeds) that it's going to be a big drag until you get to the right dose, and then it works. That turned out to be accurate for us. So hang in there. My son (9) has been on it since last fall and it has helped. Now we're discontinuing depakote (which btw increases blood levels of lamictal) and increasing the lamictal. It's better than last time, but it has still had its moments. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete