Tuesday, July 19, 2011

19 Days and Counting...

We are 19 days in on the Lithium and still no problem side effects. He seems to drink more often due to the increased thirst, but there’s nothing to complain about. (Crossing fingers)

On Sunday, my son’s sunday school teacher pulled me aside to say that my son did really great in class and was a lot more engaged compared to previous classes. This was the first time this teacher has approached me and she had no idea about his medications. I found this to be a nice measure of how well he’s responding.

Earlier in the week, my son and I went on a night walk and I was overwhelmed with what a magical experience it was, seeing him laugh, be silly and connect with me like never before. When I came home and shared with my husband how great it was I said, “Who is that kid? It’s like meeting him for the first time!” My husband agreed and said, “This is our real son.”


11 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you Mama Bear! This is wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am glad he is able to enjoy some of his summer and i am glad you have some peace of mind.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! He is able to relax and be happy AND no side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great!! I know Lithium is a miracle worker for lots and lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing the happy dance for you and the family!

    XOXO

    LOLAS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad too! I would like to get some more info on Lithium. Anyone else have good experiences with?
    SW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is good news! Lithium works pretty well for our son, too. He's been on it for two years. He uses the brand name Lithobid because of stomach issues with the lithium carbonate (generic). Is he on any antipsychotic as well? My son is on abilify, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Different Not Diseased-He's on Trileptal (mood stabilizer) and Tenex for impulse control. We tried Seroquel and it made him very depressed, that's why we're trying the Lithium, my doctor was looking for something besides an antipsychotic. But I imagine we may have to try one in the future, there seems to be a lot of success with that combination. That's very encouraging to hear that your son has had success with Lithium. Have you had any bad side effects?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ((((((((hugs)))))))
    Soooooo Happy for you all!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been thinking about you, Mama Bear. So glad to hear things are going so well!!

    ReplyDelete