Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ah-ha Moments

Most of my son’s symptoms didn’t become apparent until after he was 7 years old, before that he was an easy going baby and a strong-willed toddler. But every once in a while, I recall a situation that now makes perfect sense. Just yesterday I had one of those memories, it was before he was in preschool, maybe he was 4 years old, but I remember taking him to the book store for storybook time. All the other kids were focused in on the story, anticipating the next page and the cookie reward afterwards, but my little boy was miserable. He couldn’t stand sitting with the group of kids, I spent most of the time chasing him down the book aisles and corralling him back to his spot in the group. It took many trips before I finally realized that neither of us was enjoying this experience.

But today, I can look back on this memory and it all makes perfect sense. Most likely my son hated being in the crowd of kids and was experiencing some sensory overload. It seems so obvious now, but back then I didn’t have a clue.

What about you, do you recall any ah-ha moments when looking back?

6 comments:

  1. I used to ask to go to the bathroom during class and while in the bathroom I would do push ups and kart wheels to expel some energy...looking back I am like 'ah ha...hypo mania'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In The Pink: That's awesome, what a clever way to handle your extra energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comments on my blog yesterday. I have been reading your old posts and your story is amazing.

    I'm so happy that your son has you fighting for him and helping him understand what is going on in his brain. Having a child with a mental illness is so difficult because it is so easily misunderstood. I have actually had to convince people that Grace has significant MR because she looks so 'normal' they don't believe anything can be wrong with her.

    I got tears in my eyes when I read those comments from Elizabeth Clayton. I look forward to following you and your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne- Thank you for stopping by! I hope that you get more answers for Grace soon, I know how hard it is to wait. I can also see your challenge in other people not understanding how much she struggles because she looks "normal", we’ve experienced a little of that too. I wish you and your family the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, over the past couple of years, I have had so many of these, it's hard to keep track of them all! I feel bad, sometimes, for not recognizing them as signs that something was wrong much earlier than I did.

    Bug could not sit still in pre-school during circle time or at the kind of gathering you described being at with your son. I remember how it got to where it was just normal for me to enter these situations with a knot in my stomach because I never knew what she'd do. So many times at preschool while everyone else would sit down obediently to sing, she'd either cling to me, hide under a table or run around the room. From an early age, even mild applause at any kind of performance, or being in noisy restaurants, would get her upset. We had to leave an expensive family-friendly holiday matinee because the clapping, singing, lights, were just too much for her to handle and she freaked out in the middle of the show. Just a few examples...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bugs mom- Thanks for sharing, sounds very familiar to my son. I think it is fascinating to look back and see things so clearly now!

    ReplyDelete