Thursday, September 15, 2011

Asking for Help

Tonight the boys were outside playing when we told them it was time to head inside for bed. My son became upset, he had plans of wanting to fly a kite instead, so he abruptly took off on his bike. Thankfully, my husband was able to track him down with the car, but once he was back at home, we could tell he wasn’t himself. He seemed to have a little bit of negative energy, even trying to hide in his brothers’ room after they were tucked into bed. During this time, my husband did a great job trying to guide him, offering suggestions on how to get through the moment, while trying to get him to take his evening medicine. It was apparent that we needed to wait until he was ready.

About 30 minutes later he came to me saying, “Mom, I need some help.”

When I asked what was wrong and if he could describe what he was feeling, he explained that he didn’t feel right and couldn’t figure out what was wrong. When I asked if he was still upset about the kite, he said, not at all, he didn’t care about the kite anymore. From there I was able to convince him to take his medication and he used his headphones to distract his brain while he waited for the melatonin to take affect.

I was so relieved to see that sleep finally took over and he could leave this spell of yuck and I was even more proud to see him asking for help when he needed it.


4 comments:

  1. Good for him. Sometimes when I feel a "spell of yuck" coming on I take my meds early and go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent information provided by this blog.

    Pre Diabetes Symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Bear- It is wonderful that he can come to you and ask for help. That will keep him safe. At least you know that your family handled a difficult situation in the best way possible. My daughter has run off like that before and it can be very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your son came to you asking for help. What a giant step forward it is that he can recognize that.

    ReplyDelete