Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bipolar Disorder and Love

I read an article recently and wanted to share it with you, I found it to be encouraging and sad at the same time. It’s an interview with Elizabeth Clayton who’s a professor at Mississippi College in Clinton that chose to expose her bipolar disorder illness. The article shares many deep perspectives from Professor Clayton, as well as those who work closely with her. When reading it, it’s easy to admire her courage in going public and her determination to fight this life long illness. You’ll also notice that she’s a very intelligent, creative and success individual, but what made my stomach turn was her honest reply when asked about her one regret in life:

“That I have never been able to find a companion who would accept me as I am,” she says. “And I had so much to give. So much.”

I seriously wanted to give her a hug, not because I pity her, but because my heart aches for those that suffer with mental illness. I know just like Professor Clayton, my son too wants to love others and be loved. As his mom, I want him to have this and more. I admit it’s not an easy relationship to be in, but it’s still worth it. Loving someone with a mental illness brings pain, but the joys are that much richer. A hug is more warm and a smile is more radiant. This relationship comes with a gift of perspective that you carry throughout your whole life. You learn to cherish what most take for granted and celebrate life’s small moments. Do I wish that my son didn’t have a mental illness, absolutely! Do I regret that he’s my son, absolutely not! I hope the Professor along with my son can find a true love that will love them as they are and in the end, find unexpected blessings along the way.

* * *

Educator shares pain, passion of bipolar disorder:
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110911/FEAT/109110320/Educator-shares-pain-passion-bipolar-disorder

References:
www.clarionledger.com
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110911/FEAT/109110320/Educator-shares-pain-passion-bipolar-disorder
By Billy Watkins
September 10, 2011
Consulted: September 16, 2011

4 comments:

  1. I am lucky to be with a man who does love me very much despite my being Bipolar. Most of the time I feel unworthy of such love....as if I am just waiting for him to leave me for someone better. Someone stable. When I tell him these thoughts he simply replies, "Baby, there is no such thing as a stable woman." To that I laugh and even cry a little sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In The Pink- I love what your husband said, "Baby, there is no such thing as a stable woman."-so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Or should I say, soon to be husband ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. My mom is visiting and we were having a conversation related to this topic. My bipolar brother has had many relationships. They always end--faster, as he gets older--mainly because of his anger, erratic behavior and inability to take any responsibility for problems (he has never been consistent with his meds or therapy, or even really accepted that he has a mental illness). It's very sad. Sometimes I worry my daughter, with all her amazing qualities, will suffer the same fate.

    Pink, you give me hope that it doesn't have to be that way.

    ReplyDelete