Thursday, September 1, 2011

It’s Been One of Those Days...

I’m light on words tonight because I’m completely exhausted. After a day that included blood work for my oldest, therapy for my youngest, an ortho appointment, a broken dishwasher, computer problems, childcare for a friend, fitness class instruction with a fake smile and back-to-school night, I have these lovely moments to reflect on (sarcastic tone).

* * *

Laughing was all I could do as I watched my youngest run from the therapist’s office and out into the parking lot (twice) while screaming because he wanted to go back to school. Yes, I had a curious audience watching as the drama took place. If I didn’t laugh I would’ve cried. All I could think of was... really, we’re going to have this much fun together for the next 18 years? I finally had to resort to holding him kicking and screaming while we waited to be called into the therapist’s office only to find out that he doesn’t have OCD, but anxiety issues.

Follow that with an afternoon of my oldest going into a rage after a week of back-to-school stress that included me holding him for 50 minutes while he hit, bit, scratched and kicked me. Thanks to advil and a sense of humor, I’m trying hard to stay positive while convincing myself that someday... this will be really funny.

It’s been one of those days...

12 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for three day weekends. Keep smiling because days like that are in rare form these days. On the bright side your son does not have OCD and your oldest has made it through the week still alive and willing to go back.

    Hope that today proves to be a better day though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no :( I'll tell you, I have fantasies of putting my son back in regular school but honestly I know his stability would be right out the window if I did :( Poo. Reality sucks sometimes. I hope your days get better as you all settle into a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I would say take a moment for yourself, but as a mom I know that we really don't always have that "moment". All i know of to say is, "I'm so sorry and remember that I am here for you and the family!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You break my heart. Such strength and bravery. Wishing you a peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the love and support, it really makes a difference after a bad day.

    Meg- I know where you’re coming from, if my son was able to homeschool, I would do it in a heart beat, but unfortunately, he would fight me even more. I do need to reevaluate the school issues. It has a lot to do with homework after a long day. I'm thinking of having him removed from music class (something he hates) and having him do homework instead, kinda like a study session. Whatever we do, it's time to think outside the box.

    Also, I need to remember to have down time for myself in the day, it’s absolutely necessary after days like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. School is such a hard one. When my daughter (bipolar 1)was in school we just went when we could and I never felt guilty or pressured, try as the school might.She rarely went the full day, we just had to take it as it comes. You know how it is, minute by minute some days. keeping her alive was my main priority as the rest could be dealt with later. school is not the be all and end all actually. education would be nothing if she was in the ground I'm afraid. i did do a lot of assignments though i have to say! As we seem to be heading own the same track with our 5 year old (epilepsy & early signs of bipolar) my approach will be the same. I do have the luxury of homeschooling this time which is incredibly taxing on me at times, I still am happy with this choice for us.
    I don't know how you do all that other stuff though. i just cleared the decks and only did the things required by my family. its to long of a haul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to say thank you for writing about your life, and that you are most definitely not alone. One foot in front of the other, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mama Bear ((((((hugs)))))) I absolutely feel your pain. I do hope that next week's transition back to school is a much better one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs for you Mama Bear, I'm so sorry you had a such a bad day. Hopefully things are getting better now? That school transition can really be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mama Bear,
    You have stated how many of us feel at the end of a long day. Know you are not alone, at least on line you always have someone to listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, man--sounds so like my day today! My Bug finally collapsed in my arms and went to sleep a few minutes ago after a lo-o-o-ng afternoon/evening rage and crying session. This, of course, was timed to occur as I was trying to finish a project for her school. A lovely end to an otherwise pretty good long weekend. Thanks for reminding me that maintaining a sense of humor helps during these stressful times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bugs Mom-OH so sorry to hear about bug, I hope this week goes better! Hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete