The final decision is based on the direction of our pediatric nephrologist who currently is seeking multiple opinions on whether or not to do a biopsy. As he told me yesterday, he feels the risk to his kidneys is very low and his vote is to keep our son on medication. In the meantime, they will increase his Lithium blood draws to every 6 weeks to keep a close eye on his levels and will continue to do regular urine tests to monitor the health of his kidneys.
These decisions are not being made lightly, they carry significant weight and I’m pleased to see our kidney specialist, who happens to be the Subchief of his Department, seeking many opinions with other doctors regarding my son’s case.
As wonderful as it is to see my son thriving right now, the seriousness of my son’s health is taking it’s toll on me. As his mom, I desperately want him to be well and have a lifetime of stability. I can’t help but feel discouraged because not only does he have a mental illness, but he also has kidney problems that may get worse because of the treatment he needs. It feels like a double edge sword. With medication, his kidneys could get worse, without medication his mental illness will get worse. No matter what decision we make, our son’s life is on the line.