Monday, October 3, 2011

Navigating Conversations

On Friday, my son shared in an excited tone that one of the girls from his class figured out that he had a 504 plan. When I asked how she knew, he said. “I think she figured it out since we both didn’t have to run in the heat. She told me she had a 504 plan and asked if I had one too.”

“Did you tell her you had one?” I asked.

“I told her I did. Then she asked me why.” he said.

So of course I was curious how he responded, asking him, “What did you tell her?”

He said he told her, “Let’s just say... that I can hurt people.”

Then I asked, “How did she respond to that?”

He smiled and said that she didn’t say anything else.

Hmmm... I think we need to work on what he should tell others. I know that he isn’t comfortable telling people he has a mental illness, but going this direction could backfire on him.

It’s another one of those moments when I wish he could just be honest and people would understand.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an eye opener. Backfire is right! I need to sit down with Obug and D to talk with them about how they share or would share if and when it comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a difficult issue - especially as our kids get a bit older. If they share with the wrong person, zowie what a mess! But they do need to be able to deal more openly with their needs, and we want acceptance. My daughter's friendships definitely are affected by information about her symptoms. I know you'll handle it well.

    ReplyDelete