Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Decision is Made

Well the holiday is over and now it’s back to serious business. Our pediatric nephrologist has made the final decision to do a biopsy on my son’s kidneys to evaluate the damage that has taken place over the years from his kidney reflux (a birth defect), allowing all doctors involved to make the best decision for my son’s care.

I’m not surprised that this is his final decision and I know that it was seriously considered being that he consulted multiple doctors who all felt this was the best thing to do, but it doesn’t take away my concerns. Any medical procedure comes with risks and I hate risks.

In the meantime, we have to get the procedure completed by the end of the year since our insurance is switching over to Anthem Blue Cross HMO. I realize I went against the grain in choosing an HMO, but we felt the decision was easy because the doctors we wanted were all covered by this plan and if he were ever hospitalized for psychiatric care, he will be sent to the best hospital in our area. In addition, we were very nervous about the unexpected fees that we may incur. I don’t think we could afford to cover 10% of major surgery and with my son’s kidneys, we need to be prepared that this may be in our future someday.

After all that is said and done, I’m happy to have finally made the decision with our health care plan and I’m excited to meet our new doctors. I don’t want to get my expectations up, but as for right now, I have a good feeling about it.


3 comments:

  1. Oh Mama Bear I wish your son the absolute best results with his kidney test. And as far as the insurance goes....you do whatever feels right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the procedure. Many hugs and prayers coming your way...

    ReplyDelete