Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Get the Family Together for Fun!

Trying to play a family game with a child who has mood issues can be a challenge for the whole family. My son can easily get stressed out or too competitive, taking away any enjoyment possible. But over the year we’ve found great success with the game Hedbanz. It’s a simple game that has an easy flow without a lot of complicated rules. If you’re out looking for a family game for Christmas this year, I highly recommend it!

Sorry if this is starting to feel like an advertisement, I promise you it’s not, I’m just excited to share something that works! I’m not much of a game girl, I get way too impatient, but this game was a blast even for me.

To play, each family member wears a goofy headband around their forehead then they stick a game card into the headband with the image facing out. It’s completely ridiculous looking which adds to the fun of the game. Then each person takes a turn with a sand timer asking questions about what they may be (the image in the card). So I may ask:

“Am I a food?”

“Am I an animal?”

The family can only respond with “yes” or “no” answers. Once you get a “yes”, you can narrow your questions to a more specific area.

“Am I an object?”

“YES!”

“Am I an appliance?”

“Am I a toy?”

“Am I a ball?”

You have until the timer goes out to guess what you are. If you guess right, you earn a point, if not, it’s the next person’s turn. For kids that easily feel defeated, it helps that you get to continue with your same card on your next turn, no starting over until you guess right. I love that you can narrow the game to be short or long. In some cases we declare a winner after someone guesses correctly 3 times, other games we play longer.

This is one of those games where you spend more time laughing than anything else. My kids love it and it seems effortless for my son. It’s a great way to get the family together for some low key fun.


Here it is on Amazon (You may find it cheaper in Target):
http://www.amazon.com/Spin-Master-Games-6014346-Hedbanz/dp/B003AIM52A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322620946&sr=8-1


3 comments:

  1. A follower shared with me that the game is on sale at Walmart for $9.88!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. It worked out in my family too, whith one bipolar son. Though he did invent new rules...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna- That's great! Sounds like he’s creative!!

    ReplyDelete