Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Message to Remember

It’s the final week before Christmas and if you’re like me, I still have things to wrap, cookies to bake and a lot of chores to complete, all while maintaining peace in my home. It’s so easy for me to get caught up in all the details that I miss out on the big event, can you relate?

This Sunday my pastor gave a timely message about being “present”. He reminded me that it’s in those moments that we experience God, not in the past or in the future, but in the moment that’s right before us. If I can just slow everything down and be thankful for everything God has blessed me with, I will experience real joy, the kind of joy that only comes from God.

So this week I really want to do this, I want to let go of the past, stop thinking about the future and just be present with God, to see all the wonderful things that He’s placed into my life. Such as, my husband that faithfully loves me and supports me, sacrificing for his family and honoring God with his good character. My oldest who’s experiencing stability for the first time and remains optimistic after all he’s been through. His resilience alone is miraculous! My middle child who at 9 years old stood before his church today and prayed for adults asking for prayer. His heart and compassion are a true blessing from God. And my little one who’s needs are small, reminding me that my presence alone is enough for him, as he hugs me and climbs into my lap whispering “I love you”.

I don’t want to miss out on anymore this Christmas season, so I’ll start by opening my eyes with a moment of gratitude. I am thankful, so very thankful...

* * *

Tonight, while taking my middle son to Christmas shop for his brothers, I made an effort to be in the moment. I unplugged my phone and followed his slow, thoughtful pace. As we were leaving the store with packages in hand, I heard my son softly say, “I can’t wait to give my brothers their gifts, I’m so excited, I feel my heart getting warm inside.”

Had I hurried my son or checked my emails, I would’ve missed out on one of my most favorite moments this season.

* * *

If you’re like me and have a hard time being “in the moment”, here are a few suggestions from my pastor:

• Count your blessings, write them down!
• Recount your “highs” and “lows” of the day as a family, see what really mattered at the end of the day.
• Take pictures to become aware of those precious moments surrounding you.
• Start out your day with a prayer of thanksgiving.
• Receive Communion.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and touching post Mama Bear. It has inspired me to go to church with my family this Christmas...I haven't been in years. It is time I reevaluated what is important because I let the little things stress me out to much and that is no good. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s awesome In the Pink, I hope you feel God’s presence there as well as today as you go about your day! Merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete