Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Postponing the Inevitable
Well we’ve come to a decision about my son’s biopsy and whether to have it done next week with our current HMO or to wait until we’re with our new HMO. There are pros and cons to each side, but in the end, we decided to wait, allowing us to have the procedure done closer to home and reduce the amount of stress our son will be exposed to.
The decision became much easier when I got a call from the nurse today and was told that my son couldn’t have any food or water after 5 AM until the procedure was complete. That would be another 8.5 hours of fasting, along with traveling 3 hours into the city. We also found out that we would have to wait an additional 8 hours after the procedure until we could go home, getting us home around 2 am. It simply is too much for him to go through if we can avoid it.
After many calls, it looks like we can. If we make the switch to the new HMO, I was told that we could get an early appointment, allowing him to do most of his fasting in the night while he’s sleeping. In addition, the commute will be drastically reduced. I also spoke with our current nephrologist and he confirmed that we could safely wait to have the procedure later.
In the meantime, I’m getting files transfered and trying to get an appointment in the books with the new nephrologist by having the two doctors talk over the phone. Our current doctor will make the call sometime this week. In the meantime, I already have the first appointment in place in January with his pediatrician to request the referral. I think I’ve done all that I can, I’ve talked to everyone involved and it seems like this should be a smooth transition.
Honestly, I know there are no guarantees, it could get really messy, but I have to make the best decision with the information I have. And since I’m being honest, can I say that I am so tired of making important decisions, it seems there’s always another one around the corner.