Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Getting Ready for the First Appointment

Tonight I’ll be keeping this post short, I’m completely exhausted. For the last 2 days I’ve been prepping for my son’s first appointment with his new psychiatrist. It feels like I’ve been prepping for a final exam. I’ve been creating summaries of all his symptoms based on the charts I’ve kept. In addition, I created timelines for all his medications by listing all reactions and symptoms that followed and even watched old videos of my son experiencing episodes of psychosis. If that wasn’t enough, I spent some time reviewing old posts to accurately document what my son has been through over the past 4 years.

About halfway through the material, I started to feel sick to my stomach. It became overwhelming and just plain sad. Seeing video of my boy 2 years ago, looking so young, screaming that he wanted to kill himself was enough to bring me to tears.

My son has been through hell and back. He really is remarkable!

Today I felt pleased with all that I’d pulled together. I was surprised about some of the details I’d forgotten, it was proof that documenting your child’s symptoms can be a valuable tool. With so many details, there was no way I could’ve kept it straight on my own. What’s interesting is that when you start seeing symptoms, you never think about what will be coming in the years ahead. It was more than I’d imagined and tougher than I remember. Thankfully, my son has forgotten most of it.

Check back for my next post when I share how our much anticipated appointment went. It’ll be worth reading!




5 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope it goes well. It's not a fun process finding a new doc so I empathize with your plight. Hopefully it will all be easy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really hard looking back at past notes etc. I have had to do that getting ready for an evaluation recently. Hard stuff, but we must pick up the pieces and move forward for the sake of our family and ourselves. We are stronger than we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! We need to move on for the sake of our family!

      Delete
  3. Good luck! My son is autistic, the bi-polar disorder is currently "dormant". I wait and watch. And worry. I hope this appointment goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and hoping it goes well!

    ReplyDelete