Sunday, March 25, 2012

Encouragement in the Night

Last week I hit an emotional low point. My husband was with friends, the kids were asleep in bed and I sat crying alone feeling overwhelmed with raising my son. It was a tough day where defiance was intense and solutions were scarce. I know all parents deal with this as their kids move into puberty, but in our case things can go seriously wrong in these moments and honestly, the years ahead scare me.

So I prayed.

I cried out to God to take over, acknowledging that we were not capable of doing this without Him.

Then as I headed up to bed I heard some music softly playing upstairs. This was a first since by this hour our house is completely quiet. As I peeked into my son’s room, I saw him cuddled up asleep and the glow of his iPod player illuminating his peaceful face. And there, playing over the speakers was the song “Our God” by Josh Ridings Band. As the chorus filled the room, I was overcome with emotion, I felt like God was reminding me of who He is and what He is capable of. I felt a peace come over me as I sat at my son’s bedside and praised God.

Here are the lyric to the chorus:

Our God is greater,
Our God is stronger,
God you are higher than any other.
Our God is healer,
Awesome in power,
Our God,
Our God.


* * *

Hit play arrow below to listen:



* * *

Check out BlogHer today, my post  Lessons that Build a Lasting Marriage was selected to be a featured member post in the Family topic on BlogHer.comon Monday, March 26, 2012 around 9 AM PDT.

In case you missed it, here’s a link to the post now appearing on BlogHer:
http://www.blogher.com/better-or-worse-how-marriage-survives-raising-special-needs-child

4 comments:

  1. Prayer is so important to me as well. The teen years with kids with mood disorders are tough. You guys have a great foundation so you will be ok. Just remember to take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, I appreciate your support, it's nice to know there are moms walking through this a few years ahead of me to help guide the way.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is just beautiful to hear Mama Bear. God is good and he will always be there to absorb the suffering. At least that is my prayer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg nailed it, Mama Bear. You have a good FOUNDATION and I think that is the key. I KNOW you will all be okay. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete