Sunday, March 18, 2012

Shadow People

This past week my son started seeing visions of a shadowed man in our home. It’s been quite some time since he’s reported these sightings so it was unexpected to say the least. What was also peculiar was the number of times he saw it and the fact that he was stable in all situations. Unlike this week, his past sightings typically appeared when he was experiencing high anxiety or drastic mood changes, but this time, he appeared normal.

The first time the vision appeared he was calmly playing alone in his room. He said that he saw a shadowed man creeping into his room wearing red boots. When I asked how he saw the boots, he explained that the man was sneaking past his door with its boots leading the way and its head peeking from behind the door. When I asked what the face looked like he said that it had no features, it was just a black body like a shadow. He said that he looked away to see if it would disappear, but when he looked back the image did a “replay” with it sneaking into his room all over again.

Later that night he was eating dinner with our family when he quickly ducked his head down under the table. Then he cautiously peeked back up then returned to his meal. About twenty minutes later he mentioned seeing shadowed men again. Then my husband asked if that was why he ducked under the table when eating dinner and he responded, “Yes, I saw a shadowed man leap from the playroom into the dining room, then disappear.”

The next day when he was making his lunch he turned around and saw the shadowed man walking towards him from another room. He said he turned away and when he looked back the image did a “replay” with the man starting over and walking towards him again. He then left the kitchen to find me and when he ran up the stairs he peeked back and saw the shadowed man chasing him up the steps. Once he found me he appeared panicked and the image of the man was gone.

My son seemed to handle this pretty well. When I asked him if he was scared of it, he said, “Not really, I’m getting use to it since I’ve seen it before in the past. It just freaked me out a little when it was following me up the steps.”

As his parent I can’t help and wonder if this is his imagination, his mood disorder or a side effect. When I consider his scared reaction at the dinner table, it makes me believe that he’s really seeing something. Also, he wasn’t engaging in bad behavior and using the “visions” to distract me from giving him consequences. Instead, he was always in a calm state doing something ordinary in full daylight, so nightmares and nighttime shadows are not even a possibility.

Thankfully he went through the weekend with no visions and seems to accept it as part of his brain problem. As for me, I find it disturbing.


16 comments:

  1. I would find that disturbing as well :( I'm sorry he is having this happen. That's a rough way to live. What does his doctor say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a message with his psychiatrist today. Last week his therapist responded by talking about imaginary friends. When I explained that we even saw him startled by this vision at dinner, she changed her response saying that it was weird that he was seeing things since he didn't appear unstable. Next she took a positive direction by sharing the movie of "A Beautiful Mind" and explained to my son that this talented man also saw things due to his schizophrenia and he learned to ignore these visions.

      Delete
    2. Many children and some adults will see these figures. No one has to be diagnosed with any form of mental disorder. My child also occasionally sees the Shadow men. She says they are men because they have no obvious female traits. She also said there is another that visits and pushes the darker one away. I have no reason not to believe her. We are not the only entities on this earth. Your child will be fine.

      Delete
    3. This isn't from a mood disorder. He is experiencing the paranormal. Shadow people do exist.

      Delete
    4. ...and so do mood disorders.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry to hear your son is going through this. I can only imagine how hard this is as mommy. How can we protect our kids from things that are alive in their minds? (((hugs))) if only love were a cure. My uncle is bipolar with schizophrenic tendencies (schizoeffective), he doesn't see people but he hears voices. Other than his medication, something he reminds himself is something his mom said "Sometimes the voices in your head tell you lies"... he has lived with this and it has helped him, since he was a little boy. No one knew at that time how severe his illness was though. I'll keep you in my thoughts for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always try and tell my son in a nonchalant way that it's just his brain making mistakes. I think he's catching on to this.

      Delete
  3. My son who is 11 is bipolar. When he is in a high mood and is going through a major mood swing he also see things that aren't really there and he hears things we can't hear. He has a person he calls Jim that appears and he says Jim helps him through things.he also has said he sees scary images of shadows when he looks in the mirrior..I find all this as a mother disturbing and scary. I am also bipolar but I have never experienced any of this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Jamie. So does Jim show up when he is feeling stable or only during mood swings?

      Delete
  4. How scary for him. I'm glad that he at least has some perspective from seeing them before. The replay effect might be another way he can learn to dismiss them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned that it usually happens during high anxiety periods. Just a thought, but Theresa on Long Island Medium says that until she figured out she was a medium, she used to have lots and lots of anxiety and panic attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't be so sure the sightings are simply in his mind, I would suggest to him that if and when he says one again to command it to leave in the name of Christ. To say that to the shadow being in those words. "In the name of Christ, I command you to leave and never return"! That should take care of the happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son is 11 years old and about three years ago, he began to see a shadow man. He calls him the Tuxedo Man, because he says that he is wearing a black
    suit and a fedora styled hat. The first time that he saw him, we were
    Outside and he came in the house to use the bathroom. He said that he was standing in our foyer. I remember that he came running back outside and told us that someone was in the house. We came in and checked and found nothing. We chalked it up to him just being dramatic. He didn't say anything for about a year. Last year he became very frightened and said that theTuxedo
    Man was trying to talk to him. Again, we didn't take him seriously. Last night we went to eat dinner with my brother in law and somehow spirits and ghosts came
    up. My son was saying that was all a bunch of garbage. Well, when we got back home, my husband and I were sitting in the living room when my son came down the hall and looked horrified. He just stood at the edge of the living room and was looking down the hall. When we asked him what was wrong, he just stood there not speaking and staring down the hall. After pressing him, he broke down crying and saying that he had jinxed himself by saying that spirits were not real. We kept questioning him and he told us that he sees this shadow man all of the time, but never tells us because he feared that we would think that he's crazy and wouldn't believe him. He said that it really scares him when the Tuxedo
    Man tries to talk to him, which has been twice. He says that most of the time he just sits around and doesn't bother him. My son says that he's still freaked out when he sees him, but tries not to be alarmed. He also told us that he goes in the car with us sometimes and has even been on vacation with us. We don't know what to make of this, but by my son's obvious reaction last night, we believe that he is seeing something. We just don't know what. Does anyone have any advice or legitimate recommended people that we can talk to? Thank
    you for any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is tough. He is obviously seeing something that is scaring him. I still don't know the cause of my son's visions. Though he doesn't have them now, he still remembers them like yesterday. If your son has other signs such as depression, it may be worth having him seen by a psychiatrist, I know that depression can sometimes trigger hallucinations. If he doesn't have other sigs of mental illness and there are no meds on board to cause it, it is hard to know what it could be. I believe him, especially since its been going on for a while, poor kiddo, he must be scared. Is there any schizophrenia in your family? Hopefully it is all harmless.

      Delete
    2. What is interesting is the mention of a fedora hat. My son saw the same guy, I mentioned your post to my son yesterday and he said he saw a fedora hat on a shadow man a lot. I once wrote about it. Yesterday I the googled this and it appears to be a a reoccurring vision, the fedora hat is specifically mentioned many times. I find that distinction to be so strange and curious. Let me know what you find out.

      Delete
    3. Having seen 4 different "forms" of "shadow people" I personally am of the opinion that they are real entities. Although Mama Bear's description of her son's encounter doesn't sound like a true shadow person your son's description does sound legit. I combat these spiritual entities with prayer and so I recommend you pray for protection for your son and your family to combat this entity.

      Oh and ty Mama Bear for sharing your son's story. My opinion is just that, and I hope it doesn't discourage you in away way. Glad your son is better.

      Delete