Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Breaking In the Behavior Modification Plan

Here’s a quick peek at how we’re doing in breaking in the new behavior modification plan from our psychiatrist:

Day 1:
It started out good, but by the second of three inspections we hit our first “no pass” and what followed was an expected meltdown since the house privileges would not be available because he chose not to do his study time. My son cried that I had ruined his life by making his home a prison and that home is now “just like school”. He left the house in anger 3 times (once returning for a water bottle), leaving me notes that he was going off to hide somewhere and that he hated this new “family plan” and when he saw our psychiatrist he was going to attack him. I remained calm and didn’t engage but instead empathized with him. By the third inspection of the day we had compliance and a joyful “pass”. Not sure who was more excited, child or mom!

Day 2:
It was a huge success. My son griped a little with his second inspection today, but went with the program and was able to pass all three inspections today and got to enjoy the privileges. All three of my boys seemed to embrace their charts where they check off their completed tasks throughout the day. Hopefully the rest of the week will go as good. Tonight my son enjoyed the special family time he earned before bedtime, even admitting that the “family plan” wasn’t all that bad.

We have a long way to go, but it felt good to not be in conflict all day with my son. We’re taking it one day at a time...

* * *

To all my family who love and support me by reading this blog, you know who you are, thank you so much, it means the world to me to know that you’re by my side. Love you!



4 comments: