Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Moment of Hope

My son’s therapist has been teaching our son how to manage his anger better. One of the techniques we’re using is to have our son go for a walk alone around the block when he starts to get upset and angry so he can calm himself down. We’re working hard to teach him to separate himself from others instead of attacking us when he’s angry. Slowly, he’s getting better at this.

Just this week he started to get angry and I warned him to leave the situation and he calmly walked out the front door. When he came back 10 minutes later he handed my a bouquet of dandelions that he picked while on his walk. As he handed me the flowers he sweetly explained how he arrange the flowers so they would look pretty, then he said, “I’m sorry Mom.”

As much as I love his flowers and the sentiment behind them, I cherish this small moment because I know it’s exactly what we’re working towards, it gives me so much hope.


5 comments:

  1. Good Job Little Man! Sorry I have been away so long but life feels so very pivotal right now with decisions to be made. I have decided to switch Psychiatrist and have yet to meet the new one. And also my mom is trying to treat my oldest niece with medicine I am not sure she needs. Stop by my blog because I need a Trauma mom's input on this. Sorry this comment is basically about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi In the Pink-it's great to hear from you again! Yes, I look forward to checking out your latest post, I’ll go there tomorrow since I’m off to bed now. Good night : )

      Delete
  2. This is so great! It really sounds like the therapy is working and your son is gaining some powerful tools to help him work through his anger. I may have to try the take-a-walk-to-cool-off technique with Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Bear, I am so happy that I have found your blog. For years I have thought that no one could possibly understand what it is like to have a son like mine (my own 10 year old Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). I'm so sorry that you've had to go through so much with your son. But I'm so grateful that you are writing about it. With almost every post, you could easily be describing my child. Your posts give me so much hope and information. And, mostly you give me comfort in knowing that there are others in the world facing similar issues and situations. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. Lately I get worried that I am doing the wrong thing by exposing all of our family challenges, but my hearts draws me back to writing since I remember how hard it was for me when I thought I was the only one. I also love my son dearly and know that so many other Moms feel the same for their children and I have hope that together we'll be able to give our kids a wonderful life despite their challenges. Thank you so much for encouraging me, I need to hear that today.

      Delete