Sunday, April 29, 2012

Progress Grows

This weekend my son came to me begging for help since he was struggling with feeling overwhelmed and stressed out from a project and now felt like he wanted to hurt someone. At one point he said through tears, “I feel like I’m going insane, my brain won’t think straight!” I encouraged him to take a shower and promised him that it would make him feel better. Eventually he allowed me to get the water going for him and agreed to get in.

After the shower he came out with a big smile and said, “I’m so glad you’re my mom.”

I laughed and said, “Me too, but why do you say that?”

He responded, “Because you can make me take a shower and now I feel so much better!”

I know this moment might appear insignificant, but when I take a step back, I can see the progress that has been growing. In the past he would’t have been able to identify the source of his feelings (stress from his project) and he would never have asked for help so early on, he even recognized what his behavior would have escalated to if he didn’t get help at that moment. THEN, he let me help him.

This is huge!

This is sweet, beautiful progress and I know we have Lithium to thanks for it. This medication has given us so much stability that we now have the opportunity to teach and guide our son, allowing moments like this.

But I’m also incredibly thankful to have a child who wants to feel better and is willing to go to weekly therapy, accept yet another modification plan and trust that his parents love him dearly and only want to do what’s best for him.

If you seem a long way off from this type of progress, hang in there, kids do get better. A few years ago I wouldn’t have thought that this type of progress was possible, but we are living it.


3 comments:

  1. Good! It's great to get all of this in place before middle school when he will really need all of those skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that when I wrote this post.

      Delete
  2. THis is great news! Important to celebrate every little victory possible for everyone's sake.

    ReplyDelete