Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tiptoeing Back On Track

If you read my last post from Easter night you may recall things ended badly. Two days later I’m happy to report that we’re back on track.

After the violent rage Sunday night, my son woke up Monday morning in a good mood and has been going along with the new family plan as if nothing ever happened. He has even gone into timeout a few times without any fight. Looking back, I can see how the excitement of a long Easter day along with too many sweets and a day off his normal routine, add to that a meeting about more changes in the coming week and we have a recipe for disaster. But that’s life right? We can’t always keep everything on schedule, there’s holidays, spring breaks and life in general that gets in the way of perfectly laid plans.

This inevitable truth is disappointing to say the least. It’s the unexpected and the “change in plans” that makes life exciting and as comfortable as routine is, sometimes we have to leave this comfort zone. But for families like mine, this decision may bring unwanted consequences. A spontaneous trip to the movies may bring unwanted behavior later. But can we live any other way?

So as the week moves forward, in the uncharted territory of spring break, I’m carefully tiptoeing through the day. Trying to maintain a predictable routine, but stepping outside the lines every so often so the kids can have some fun, knowing that it may come at a price.

It’s the best that I can do and I’m ok with it.



4 comments:

  1. Easter was a bad day for my son as well, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus his excitement and expectations of the day that didn't quite come to fruition. Always a cruel reminder that as far as we have come, we still have a ways to go. I wish I knew what the answer was to managing the difficulties that come with what should be a happy and fun time. Thank you for sharing your story! I hope Spring Break goes well!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, Sorry to hear your Easter was difficult too.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that things are coming back together.

    "Expectation Management" That's our tag line around here. When I talk about plans I try to put in the idea that plans can change, and ask "what will you do if---there is no piñata at the birthday party?"

    Because what you said is true--we can't maintain a perfectly planned life. But we can give these kids who get so thrown by the unexpected better tools for coping with it.

    Good luck with spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Expectation Management" That's a good one we try and use too! I also try and plan on how I’ll respond if things turn south so I feel more prepared.

      Delete