Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gifts of Love

This year I got the best gifts for Mother’s Day. My dear husband gave me a pretty necklace that represents my boys, my youngest made me a painted clay pot with glitter, my middle child made me a candle that smells like vanilla and my oldest made me a bookmark with a card that spoke volumes. He wrote:
“Happy Mother’s Day Mommy,
I love you so much, sorry when I hurt you in rages 
but even then I still love you.”
I found his card to be sweet and a little sad. I know without a doubt that he regrets what’s happened in the past and I know that it was his illness that brought these things on. But as his mother I want to make it all better. I wish I could remove the guilt he now feels. But I also recognize that his feelings represent a place of healing for him, because he’s now able to show empathy for others and can see how his actions have hurt others. This is a good place to be, but on Mother’s Day, I wish he could just feel like a regular kid.

Boy do I love this son of mine... to the moon and back.


1 comment:

  1. He's a good boy and it is natural to feel guilt for the things we do wrong whether the person is mentally ill or not. I am just so proud he is able to understand that the rages are a forgivable thing.

    ReplyDelete