Sunday, May 20, 2012

Meeting Middle School

Recently my son had a field trip to the middle school where he’ll be attending next year. As you can imagine, we were a little apprehensive about this experience since it was a bigger campus, new staff and new kids. But we were pleasantly surprised that it went so well. As he said after the tour, “I loved it!”

He surprised us when he told us how students were divided into a groups to decorate a person with tin foil for a fashion show. The group chose him and he went along with it. Then to top the day off, after the kids covered him head-to-toe with foil, he was told he had to walk across the stage in front of several hundred kids, all from different schools to show off his team’s “foil outfit”. When I asked if he walked across the stage he said, “Well my bottom lip was shaking and I felt like I was going to throw up, but I did it anyway.” I could tell from his expression that he was so proud of himself! As for me, I had tears of joy filling my eyes. I was so proud of him and was overwhelmed with hope for what’s to come.

There’s something to be said about a fresh start. Middle school here we come!




8 comments:

  1. good luck with middle school! i've been there it brings new challenges but he'll have so many wonderful new experiences there! its alot of hard work and alot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope my son embraces the fun stuff and I’m trying not to dread the tough stuff, I figure, why stress myself out, I’ll have plenty of time later : )

      Delete
  2. What a trooper! When it becomes available you should try to got him into Drama. I took it is junior high and high school to help get me over my stage fright. Oh I am just so proud of him for working through his anxiety and walking the stage. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drama, wow you are a brave girl, that's great that it helped you. I look forward to seeing what things interest him and where he finds his passion, I’m thinking it may be the robotics class. I would be blown away if it was drama, but you never know : )

      Delete
  3. That's great! That will be great if middle school goes well for him. It was a rough ride for us but we are done now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Meg, I know deep down we have some challenges coming, as my husband and I left the parent orientation we both looked at one another with wonder on how he was going to survive it all. I know that we are keeping in mind that we may have to look at alternatives if this mainstream school doesn't work for him. As for now, I’m trying to think positive since it feels so much better.

      Delete
  4. Good for your son! I'm sure that was a huge deal for him. Glad you're feeling better about middle school--I'll be following your progress closely! We've got another year to go, and I'm pretty nervous about it. Will your son be in any kind of special support class when he's there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is still to be determined. We will be meeting with the principal a few weeks before school starts and evaluate our options. If we put him in the special homework class, we'll be removing him from the fun class option. So I think we’ll cross that bridge when we have to. But hearing that we should plan to 1.5-2 hours of homework every night made us realize we may have some serious issues ahead since we can only get him to do 20 minutes now. I will definitely request a lighter homework plan with his 504, but it's going to be a challenge!

      Delete